Reviews Breakdown

Answered!
Ian90
Level 1
Leeds, United Kingdom

Reviews Breakdown

Hi - I was going to pay my cleaner a monthly bonus if she consistently gets 5 star reviews for cleanliness, however I'm not sure you can see a breakdown of individual scores per review, does anyone know where to find this information? My last two guests have said there was no problem with cleanliness however stats tab suggests last two review were not five star?!

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

That's why it would be unfair to give your cleaner a bonus  based on guest's percptions - she could have done an excellent job and some guests would mark her down just because that's what some guests do.

Why not base it on guest comments and what you think rather than meaningless ratings.

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

@Ian90 you can't get an individual breakdown. The closest you can get to it is to keep a spreadsheet of every review and update the ratings each time. It's not exact, particularly if you get several reviews in very quick succession, but it's the only way to do it.

How do I check my ratings after each guest? I've given excellent  service to my first 10 guests, but just found out my rating is 85%! I had asked each guest to let me know what it'd take to give me 5 stars and to let me know while they were there so I'd get 5 stars, but I guess someone didn't...

Bree0
Level 2
California, United States

@Victoria57, there used to be a breakdown you can see via Stats, but in December 2016, I noticed that Airbnb changed the viewing of each rating from the "1-2-3-4-5" version to a percentage version. Today, 01/31/2017, as I visited that section again, I don't see a way of seeing all the 6 categories anymore.

I like to be organized, and I'd like to keep my thoughts organized as well, as I have multiple listings here on Airbnb, and so I keep a diary of each of my guests in each listing in order to help me review my guests accurately.  Because of that, it was important for me to keep a spreadsheet of each of my guest's rating for each category to keep me informed.  Now, I don't have a way to see how my guests rated me in each category, and I wished Airbnb didn't have to block that information from us, the hosts.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

That's why it would be unfair to give your cleaner a bonus  based on guest's percptions - she could have done an excellent job and some guests would mark her down just because that's what some guests do.

Why not base it on guest comments and what you think rather than meaningless ratings.

I agree with both Helen and Victoria. It is true that some guests will try anything to get their money back, no matter what you do. I hate to say this, because I do not believe in predudices, but beware of some ** travelers. Some can be very lovely,, but there are many that no matter how great their stay, will give you a bad review and demand their money back. It is a scam. So aways check their reviews. This is what scares me about auto book.

Ian90
Level 1
Leeds, United Kingdom

Thanks you make a good point, I think I over analyse the reviews. The annoying thing is I have contacted both last guests asking if there was any issue with the cleaning as its a new cleaner and both said no it was perfect but still didn't give 5 stars for cleanliness!

Bree0
Level 2
California, United States

@Ian0, we are all in this predicament because Airbnb relies heavily on guest review, as our future bookings also do.  It is unfortunate, yes, but it's their way of giving the benefit of the doubt, which is where you stand with your cleaner (and your guests); hence, your so-called "overanalysis" is understandable and justifiable because you want to give the best for both. However, based on my experience, unless you check the house condition yourself, you will almost (sadly) can never rely on the guest's reviews nor your house cleaner.

To add to Helen's (of Bristol, UK) remarks, you will have to embark on a "trust" journey, which can be unsettling if the guest's and the house cleaner's reports do not match, as you have just experienced.

It is annoying indeed, especially now that Airbnb does not provide that detailed information to hosts anymore.  It puzzles me why they (Airbnb) would take away the tools that hosts can use to aid in their hosting, rather than help them.

As for guests who give untruthful reviews, Carol (of Lombard, IL) made a valid point, as I've many first-hand experiences.  This is the reason why having a "strict cancellation" policy comes in handy, as there those who are not used to always telling the truth:

1.  There may be some guests who would "prey and capitalize" on the host with a bad review and use that info to fabricate a sob story to get their money back. I have had an instant book guest in 2016, who said, and I quote, "It's okay, I can just call Airbnb and ask for a refund without you getting affected," as they walked away despite my encouragement for them to stay.  Though one can be thankful for this guest's honesty to a host, I was shocked hearing that, because this business is based on "honor system."
  2.  The fabricated bad reviews may affect your future bookings, especially from guests who (literally may) rely on them. I had another guest who booked at least 9 months in advance and cancelled a few weeks prior to arrival.  Two months later, I discovered that the guest actually stayed at my neighbor's instead; hence, lied about the reason for cancelling.
  3. Most guests will not give you the 5-star rating you deserve if your house is not "dressed in a luxurious" (expensive) furnishings, even if the host meets the 5-star ratings on the definition of each of the 6 categories: cleanliness, accuracy, value, communication, arrival, and location.
  4. The 7th category, "overall," is where Airbnb bases the host rating, which in itself is unreliable, because this "overall" category will be impacted if the guest had encountered bad experience(s) somewhere along in their travel that does not have anything to do with your hosting or with the accommodation.

Side Note: I have spoken to Airbnb several times regarding these inaccuracies, and the reply I got was we should "...not worry because other guests will give good reviews and it will all balance out." What that Airbnb employee failed to realize is that it takes a long time (not shorter than 3 months) to bounce back from even a 3-star rating.  We can only hope that future guests will see the truth amidst the lies.