Property Type decision - A suite with no kitchen

Jeff760
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Property Type decision - A suite with no kitchen

My place is unique and I'm not sure what property type to select so I'd like your input.

Its the bottom floor of our house.... It has a private entrance (via the garage), private bedroom, private living room (with TV) and private bathroom. There is no kitchen.

Should I call this "Entire Place" but note that it has no kitchen ? The EP example given on AirBnB assumes the place has a kitchen.

Should I call this a "Private Room" when in fact there is no one sharing the space? The PR example indicates that its just a room in the house and everything else is shared but that's not the case here.

Also.... Is there higher rent or views one gets with one listing type over another?

Link to our site - https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/39173733?adults=1&previous_page_section_name=1001&search_id=cceb1fbe-442...

Looking forward to your input.

8 Replies 8
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would add some facilities such as a microwave, fridge, tea and coffee making and sink facilities in the living room. Look at the small size versions that people like IKEA do. You can let it out as a whole listing which you can of course rent out for more. @Jeff760 

Look at what those with comparable listings charge for both the suite with kitchen facilities and those without.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Jeff760 what you have is an entire-place guest suite. If you can, add a small breakfast area with microwave, mini-fridge, etc., and in House Rules - Amenities Limitations state "no kitchen." Put this in your listing description as well.

Here is our comparable listing:

https://airbnb.com/h/newt-wash-wildlife-ranch

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Jeff760 I think your place looks nice and welcoming. I would call it a Secondary Unit --> Guest Suite. It is definitely an attached inlaw apartment or separate space from the main house. Make it clear that there is no kitchen. Also, let it be known that you are onsite to answer any questions but that guests will have their privacy. By the looks of your listing you have already done that, the tricky part is always will the guest actually read? Only thing I would say is that, when hosts show a picture of the front of their entire house (when only offering a private room or guest suite) the guest can quickly scan this and think that all pictures are within an entire house layout.

Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 9.28.44 PM.png

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jeff760  I have a friend who has a similar hosting set-up-a suite in her home with living room, bedroom, bathroom. But as other posters have suggested, she has a corner of the living room set as a mini-kitchen. Microwave, mini-fridge, coffee maker, electric kettle, large drinking water dispenser, a cupboard with some dishes, and a small eating table. She'll leave a few snacks, like a bag of chips, sometimes she'll put a tray of cut-up veggies and dip in the fridge. A couple of cold beers in the summer, otherwise some mineral water or something she buys in bulk on sale. She doesn't advertise that she provides some snacks, so guests are really pleased when they find this after a long trip and it leads to good reviews. It doesn't entail a huge expense to set up a little kitchenette and I think it might be worthwhile, as most guests would probably have their noses a bit out of joint if they couldn't even heat up some take-out food or make a cup of coffee or tea.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Jeff760 

as a guest I really don't care about the kitchen, I rarely use it at home but I would be devastated if I wouldn't be able to make my morning instant coffee 🙂 

All I need is a cup, spoon, microwave or an electric water cooker and mini-fridge to keep some milk, drinks or a sandwich. A few paper plates, a glass and a knife would be a bonus.  If there is also an ashtray on the balcony auuuu.... then I am 5* happy 🙂

You show common spaces as "couch", this suggests that you share this with guests, which is obviously not the case. I would change this to avoid confusion.

Jeff760
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Thanks everyone for your input.... one clarification.... We do provide a mini-fridge, electric kettle, coffee maker, tea and coffee, cups/spoons.  What we don't provide is a Microwave, stove/hotplate nor kitchen sink.  I suppose that's not even a kitchenette but it is more than nothing. 

Does that change anyone's prior comments ?

@Jeff760  Yes, that's good- I'd add a microwave and enough plates, bowls, forks for the number of people you host. That way guests can heat up take-out food and buy some groceries and have a bowl of cereal. No need for a hot-plate- you don't really want them preparing food from scratch, I'd assume, and since there isn't a kitchen sink, there'd be nowhere to wash pots and pans.