Potential misleading number of beds?

Answered!
Sidath1
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

Potential misleading number of beds?

Hi guys,
I recently booked an Airbnb that in the "Where you'll sleep" section listed "1 queen bed, 1 single bed" however upon arriving, there was only a queen bed for a friend and I.

When calling the host, they said to refer to the description that states:
"The studio is set up with a queen bed as standard.
- Groups of 3 will be given an extra single bed
- Groups of 2 can request an extra single bed for a small set up fee"
We were under the assumption that we were getting two beds so that we can sleep separately so is there anything we can do about the misleading listing or was it our fault for not reading the description fully?

1 Best Answer
Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Sidath1 I disagree with host. Since “where you’ll sleep” states 2 beds and then in description you’re being charged a setup fee for the second bed, it is definitely misleading. I would contact host again via airbnb message and request the single bed immediately at no cost; and if host doesn't setup the second bed free of charge, contact airbnb. 

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Sidath1 I disagree with host. Since “where you’ll sleep” states 2 beds and then in description you’re being charged a setup fee for the second bed, it is definitely misleading. I would contact host again via airbnb message and request the single bed immediately at no cost; and if host doesn't setup the second bed free of charge, contact airbnb. 

Thanks for the response, will definitely give it a shot and see how it goes.

As an update, contacted the host and they said that they were unable to provide the bed even if I wanted to pay because they have no one near the apartment.
I ended up calling Airbnb and they said that there's nothing that I can do about the situation and that I should have read the description before booking.

Pretty dodgy if you ask me as we were looking for places with two separate beds as two guests.

@Sidath1 I am really very, very sorry to hear this. And this is exactly the kind of thing that get us great hosts lumped in with average hosts. As far as I’m concerned, even the description is misleading because even if you wanted to pay, this host can’t get you an extra bed! Just SHH. If it were me, I would keep calling airbnb. Just because one CS rep didn’t agree doesn’t make it the gospel. Another rep may see it entirely differently. 

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

It sounds like you didn't read the description carefully. Did you choose based on price and then skimmed all the details?  Did they have a photo of 2 beds set up? I can see where that would be misleading but hard for us to know without having seen the listing. 

@Sidath1  I don't see it as "dodgy" if the host set up your rental exactly the way the listing description said it would. One flaw in the way Airbnb displays amenities in the pictograms is that it offers hosts no way to visually distinguish the amenities that are inclusive from the ones that are available by request or at extra cost. But the entire listing text comprises part of your binding contract with the host, and it's always the guest's responsibility to actually read it before booking - even though, to hosts' constant dismay, many guests let their own assumptions mislead them instead of reading. 

@Gwen386  In this case, it's clear to me that the request to set up an additional bed is supposed to happen in advance of the stay. This doesn't sound at all like some act of willful deception or false advertising. The host could have contacted the guests to make sure they'd read the listing, and asked if they wanted the second bed (I certainly would've advised that), but at some point people have to take a little responsibility for paying better attention.

Anyway, sorry that your stay isn't going quite as you expected, but fortunately you both have a place to sleep so it's not exactly a travel emergency. I don't think you're due any kind of compensation here (unless that text you quoted wasn't actually in the listing), but if you'd like to move elsewhere you may request a booking alteration to advance your checkout date, and the host might agree to refund the unused nights. In the meantime, here's a clip for you and your friend to enjoy together in bed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2pu0m9iTo4&

@Anonymous Respectfully agree to disagree. But time will tell if the host comes on here lamenting about his review. 

Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

@Anonymous hahaha brilliant, love that film. Good thing you didn't put in a clip of The Godfather part 2....

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

@Gwen386  this is how my home is set up. And as Andrew pointed out, there is no way to designate a 3rd bed as an "add on option" except in the listing description. 

I have a regular bed and an aerobed if someone really needs to bring a 3rd person. And it is stated in my listing, "Our guest suite apartment is ideal for singles, couples who share a bed, and business travelers. The assumption will be that a 2 person booking will share the bed. If you require the aerobed, please let me know in advance." 

And yet I've had several reservations show up with people show up who *don't* share beds and wonder where the second bed is. When I direct them to the listing, they say, "Oh I didn't read that part."  One impudent guest told me I must have just added it. <rolleyes>

It is literally the first paragraph after the introduction.

Sorry, but this one is on you for not fully reading the description. Chalk it up to a lesson learned and don't penalize the host. 

edited to add, I see you already did. If I were the host, I'd be pissed too.