Possible unexpected extra guest: what can/should I do?

Nadaav0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Possible unexpected extra guest: what can/should I do?

Hi everyone.

I recently had a booking for two people for three nights in my 1 bedroom flat. I did not meet them as they picked up and dropped off the keys from my safe space.

I strongly suspect they had an extra guest but did not pay for the extra guest fee. I suspect this because the guest had found my linen cupboard and had taken an extra towel and an extra bed sheet (I suspect the extra guest used the sofa).

I would like to seek the extra guest fee but dont want to risk a bad review. What can/should I do in this case, and also how does one discuss this with Airbnb directly? I cannot find a route.

thanks 

x

3 Replies 3
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Nadaav0 I had a similar experience.  I only saw one (out of the 4 reserved guests) at check in and only 2 at check out.  I knew there must have been extra people since extra pillows, blankets were pulled out of the closet and the hot water heater was turned up to the hightest possible heat.  Since I didn't discover all this until after they left and since I could not prove they had an extra person or two, I just chalked it up to experience.  

Now, with each reservation request and inquiry I require the guest to certify the number of people staying.  I also state that only registered guests are allowed to stay (4 maximum, no exceptions). Extra people will have to find accommodations elsewhere.  At least that puts the guest on notice that you care and will take appropriate action if there are more than what you agreed to. 

Since you only suspect there was an extra person (as did I) the only thing you can do is message the guest and ask them to confirm how many actually stayed.  If they deny the extra person, well, I don't think you have much of a chance collecting an extra fee. 

If you want to discuss this with Airbnb, click on the link below to see all the ways to get in touch with them, including phone numbers.

Gretchen0
Level 6
Oregon City, OR

Because it already happened, it's too late to charge more if all they did was use extra towels and linen. If you can't meet your guests, can you install a camera at the door? I know I've read where other absent hosts have done this to keep track of unwanted guests. Some hosts also require a list of all names with the explanation that it's a fire code necessity and then check the ID of each guest before turning over the keys.
I'd also suggest putting a lock on your linen closet immediately.
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Unfortuntely you need more than suspicion before you raise a claim. Either the guest needs to admit it or you need proof. 

While what you describe could be an extra person, it could also be a number of other things. 

I would write it off and as suggested below - take some steps to make it a bit more difficult for people to have extra undeclared guests staying.