Portugal reservation

Allison327
Level 1
Portsmouth, NH

Portugal reservation

I just booked 3 different reservations and only one is asking for all 7 persons passport numbers. Do I have to give them? 

3 Replies 3
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Allison327 I ask for info on all guests.

Not all hosts do.

But, if this host requires it and you don't want to give it, then it seems like you need to find a new place to stay.

(btw, it seems that in some countries all (most) hosts will need to verify identity so maybe make sure you have other options before you bail)

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Allison327  To my knowledge, many countries require that hosts register guest information with the police or local govt. authority. If the hosts wait until you arrive to get this info, it may take more time than if they get the info beforehand and it's all done before you arrive. 

Maybe some European hosts can clarify how it works.  I don't think the host is doing anything nefarious by asking for this info when you book. And you can also just ask the host to clarify.

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Allison327 

In Portugal your host is legally required to report you and your fellow travellers presence and details to the Portuguese Immigration and Borders Service (SEF) within 3 working days of your arrival via SIBA reporting system on-line.

The purpose is security, tax and statistical matters.

Details required for SEF reporting are ; 

Full name - Date of birth -Country of birth - Home address - Country of residence

Nationality Identity document ; passport number, issue details 

Dates of arrival and departure.

Hosts not complying can be fined from 100 to 2000 euro - and subject to jail sentences in severe cases.

If your host isn't asking for your passport or one of the other valid identity documents ( eg seafarers card, flight crew id), it's likely they aren't law abiding, unless you are genuine invited friends or family.

If you refuse to give details to the host, by all means the host should refuse the accommodation.

https://siba.sef.pt/documentacao/informacao.aspx?Cap=faqs_juridicas  (faq )