Passport number request by host traveling to Portugal this Fall

Roman172
Level 2
Vernon Hills, IL

Passport number request by host traveling to Portugal this Fall

Hello,

I booked an apartment to stay in Portugal in October of this year for 6 nights and the host is asking to provide my and my friends' passport number. Is this lawful? Where or how can I confirm this and also ensure that my information/identity does not get compromised? I am concerned about identity theft as it is fairly common.

Thanks,

Roman

3 Replies 3
Luis1065
Level 2
Lisbon, Portugal

Hi Roman,

I'm glad to hear you're going to visit our amazing country this month 😉

In fact, it's mandatory.

The law obliges me, as host of local accommodation establishment, to report to the Aliens and Borders Service (SEF), within three working days of entry and within three working days of departure, the stay of foreign citizens in the accommodation. The information we must provide is: name, surname, date of birthday and passport or ID number.

In my particular case, I send a bulletin by e-mail (15 and 2 days before the check-in) for the guest to fill in this information. In case it hasn't been covered before the check-in, I ask to take a picture of the passports and I do it by myself at the office. Otherwise, we do it together in the check-in.

Hope to have clarified your doubt.

Cheers,

Luis

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Roman172  as Louis already pointed out, this is a standard requirement in most European countries, so nothing to worry about.  If you refuse to comply, your host will get in trouble, and could cancel your reservation.  There have been numerous posts about this recently--feel free to search the forum to read more about this issue.  😉

Roman172
Level 2
Vernon Hills, IL

Luis and Ann,

Thank you very much for your feedback and confirming this. I really appreciate it.

Roman