One guest booked and four people arrive - 2 adults and 2 children about 9 years old. What to do?

Grace44
Level 1
Arlington, TX

One guest booked and four people arrive - 2 adults and 2 children about 9 years old. What to do?

6 Replies 6

We have had a similar situation. Since we haven't had it specified in the house rules, we just accepted the fact that a young family brought their 4yo daughter. 

After that we simply set the house rules to "Not suitable for children (2-12)". 

You can change these settings here: "Host" > "manage listings", then select your listing (s) and go to "booking" and scroll down to "house rules".

John282
Level 3
Portland, OR

Call Airbnb. Set charges for additional guest. 

Let them know their reservation was just for 1 person. You have additional costs you need to cover. 

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

It's simple.  They booked for one, so unless they change the booking (and that is even possible), only one stays.  Don't let the other three across the threshold until they pay.  You don't need a House Rule to cover this situation.

Airbnb SHOULD have your back on this, though whether they actually do is an entirely different matter.

Rosemary12
Level 9
Burnaby, Canada

This is why I keep asking Airbnb to give hosts the name of EVERY guest. I haven't experienced this problem but maybe if it was required the host might know in advance how many guests to expect. I am not sure how this happens...how many rooms/beds do you list? I charge one rate for a single and an additional fee for an extra person but only show 1 bedroom available. Where did they all think they were sleeping?

THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR THIS CONVERSATION.  Please people, this is the "voice" section for potential options to improve Airbnb.  Not the  help section.  Please be respectful of the goals each area is set out to achieve.  

Helene0
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[Post moved from Host Voice to a better section inside the Community Center.]