One Towel per guest, for two nights; is that the norm?

Mindy41
Level 2
St Paul, MN

One Towel per guest, for two nights; is that the norm?

Hello! What's the towel expectations? One towel per guest, per 2 night stay? I actually give 2 towels per guest, for two nights. But I thought it was a minimum of 1 per 2 night stay, and thought I was pampering my guests by giving 2. I currently have 3 guests, for 5 nights. I store 16 towels in the apartment and they have already used them all, and  still have another two nights. I don't have more towels to bring them! I don't mind washing the ones they have and return them, that's not the problem.  It's the dreaded review. Are they going to claim they didn't have enough linens in their review? Should I tell them before they leave the AiR norm? Not because I  don't want them to  use less towels, and I'm sure that's what they'll think,  but because of that stupid review. 

9 Replies 9
Corliss2
Level 9
Calgary, Canada

Maybe you are over-thinking this one. You could send them a quick msg via the ABB platform and just ask them if they would like their towels laundered.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

FWIW, for me, 2 towels per person is the minimum.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Mindy41  16 towels for 3 guests for 3 nights is ridiculous. We give people 2 towels for their stay and unless they are staying longer than 7 days they use those towels like a normal person.  No one needs two fresh towels every day, that is wasteful.  Your guests are selfish jerks.

I agree with @Mark116  we are doing the same, except we also add 1 washcloth/guest.

@Mindy41 

I tend to get long-term guests. I ask them to reuse towels and in passing say that I usually provide 2 large bath towels and 2 or 3 hand towels, but to  let me know if they need more. No one in 2 yrs have needed more. 

For short term guests I offer 1 bath and 1 or 2 hand towels every 3~4 days. I haven't had any complaints 🙂

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Mindy41  I provide one bath towel and one hand towel per person. They get a clean one every third day. No complaints yet. I don't know a single person down here that wants or expects a clean towel every day and often they are showering twice a day. That sounds very wasteful. And 16 towels in 3 days?! Incredible! 

Jan567
Level 2
Gundaroo, Australia

i provide one king size towel, one standard sized towel, one hand towel and one face cloth per guest. A towel set.

Susan1404
Level 10
Covington, GA

Even when I host my maximum of 6 guests, they have never gone thru that many towels in 2 days time.  I provide up to 8 bath towels, 8 hand towels, and 8 wash clothes.  I have that many more as spares, but I do not leave them available to guests.  No one has ever asked for extra towels.  I think your guests are going overboard on their usage.  However, maybe for the sake of a decent review, accommodate them with the realization that they will be gone in a few days anyway.

Mindy41
Level 2
St Paul, MN

Hello Everyone!! Thank you for all the friendly advise!! My wording was goofy at the end of my original question, but what I meant to say, should I tell them that it's the Airbnb norm to provide two towels a night, so that we both have the same understanding. Especially before they write their review, which again, I didn't mean to sound so pestimistic about the reviews, but sometimes I feel that they are a bit unbalanced especially when the expectations that Airbnb set, are not clear between guest and host. I even mention in my listing that I provide two towels for four nights; obviously these guests didn't read "guest access". 

When they arrived, I had two towels sittitng on each bed, which I feel, sends the message, "These are your towels while you stay" ( I always set up for four guests and had the other two towels on the other bed). In a closet, way off to the side, I have the "flip" stash. when they texted and said they wanted their towels refreshed, I was so surprised when they said they already found the "flip" stash and had burned through those. I asked them to put the towels in the common area of the duplex. I gathered them and  laundered all16 towels and put them in front of their door and didn't say anything expecting that it would be more enough for their stay. As of this morning, there's another basket of 9 towels in the hall, I think they are expecting me to wash them and return them because they have two more mornings to shower. At this point, they're just making me chuckle and shake my head as I go with the flow. 

They are 2 adults and a teenage son visiting for the Final 4 NCAA Basketball tournament. In every other way, they are fantastic guests and very friendly. They have been using Air since 2016 and have accumulated 4 great reviews, so that's another part that is puzzling. How did their past hosts handle this? At this point, I'm not worried about the review they will leave me. I will probably still give them five stars, but planning to saying something as private feedback when they exit, I think we owe to each other as hosts, to be consistant and say something. However, on further thought, should I say something in the public review so that other hosts are aware. I hate sounding too fussy. I wish they had a catagory for "use of resources" in the rating process. I had a group that left all the windows open and the furnace on, it would've helped in that situation....anyway, you're right, I'm totally overthinking this and will let it go...

oh, and on a final note, because it's Final 4 weekend, it would be asssumed that they would have to pay high demand pricing for my area which 3x's the going rate. They insta booked so far in advance that Smart demand didn't kick in yet.  They are getting the week for cheapest rate I have. So it's not a case of, "pay more therefore, they expect more."