Occupancy Tax frustration

Nile3
Level 2
Santa Rosa, CA

Occupancy Tax frustration

PLEASE ADD THE ABILITY FOR ME TO CHARGE MY GUESTS OCCUPANCY TAX!

I'm encountering lots of problems with charging occupancy tax to my guests.
1) It takes a huge amount of time to calculate the tax, send the message to the guests before asking for the payment, after asking for the payment, and then follow-up to make sure it is paid.
2) Guests are sometimes surprised and then give me a bad review because they have to pay an expense they didn't anticipate, despite me clearly and prominently stating it in the property description, and sending a reminder message about it.
3) Guests are having lots of trouble finding the request for the occupancy tax. Many don't even see it. I have had at least three guests in the last month who have had big challenges figuring out how to find the tax request and make payment, and this has resulted in lots of messages back and forth and wasting my time.

Please do one of the following ASAP:
1) Add the ability for the host to add a % based fee to the booking fee. The label would be "Occupancy Tax", or allow the host to edit the label for the fee. Then, give that 12% occupancy tax to the host as a separate transaction so they can submit it to the appropriate government.
2) Add the ability to automatically charge the correct local occupancy tax (12% in this case) and submit that tax directly from airbnb to the local government.

I inquired about this before and was informed that you do not have an arrangement with the City of Santa Rosa to collect and submit occupancy tax to them, but that you were working on doing that. Many months have now passed and I have not heard anything about this. If you're unable to do this quickly, please give us option 1 above so we can collect and submit the occupancy tax ourselves more easily.

The amount of time and energy this is taking is onerous. Please make this easier for your hosts, such as myself.

What needs to be done to make this happen?

Thank you!

5 Replies 5
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Nile3 

Don't you have the "add a tax" button under "Local taxes & laws" or you could collect it as a community fee under "Standard fees and charges"

Untitled3.png

I don't see either of these options available. That would be great, though.

Perhaps it's not available in my area?

That is why it is DOUBLY frustrating, AirBNB has the ability and simply chooses not to allow it in some places.  Placer County CA is the same.  10% TOC for the county but no way to automatically add it to the total befoe teh guest books.  But in some places...Palm Springs CA for instance..they can.  So it isn't a "state tax" issue it's an AirBnB issue.

Gavin65
Level 2
Austin, TX

This option is not available when ABNB are already calculating & collecting state tax on your behalf. I live in Austin - ABnB calculate the state taxes, but City of Austin has an additional 11% (yep, you read that right) Hotel Occupancy Tax. Currently ABnB does not offer me the ability to add this tax, so I either have to eat it, or send a 'special offer' to all prospective guest requesting an additional charge.

Anyone from ABnB wish to comment?