No refund whatsoever for partial payments?

Answered!
Xianhao0
Level 2
Hamburg, Germany

No refund whatsoever for partial payments?

Does AirBnB state anywhere publically that no refund is elligible for accommodation fees paid in parts even if cancellation is made at least 7 days prior (so not even 50%)?

The accommodation in question has strict refund policy. The payment would have been made in 2 parts of equal size. 1 part was paid.

Both the AirBnB team assistant and the host so far have implied, that such is the case. However both fail to provide indications as to where such information could be obtained, read or agreed upon before hypothetical payment to either party.

Help is appreciated.

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Xianhao0  The pay less upfront option has no bearing one way or the other on the cancellation policy, those are two separate things, not connected in any way.  It's simply a more convenient payment option for some guests, rather than paying for all upfront. 

The 50% refund you seem to be entitled to is 50% of the total amount of the reservation (minus Airbnb fees, which are non-refundable after 48 hours and the cleaning fee, which won't be charged) . The amount of $ you put down on this reservation doesn't affect those terms, whether it was half, or you paid the full amount at the time of booking. 

If you are thinking you are entitled to 50% back of the half you paid upfront, it doesn't work like that. You are entitled to 50% of the complete reservation charge.

View Best Answer in original post

26 Replies 26
Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Xianhao0  🙂

On every Airbnb listing the host's cancellation policy is stated. You can press the "read more" option and you will be able to read the policy incl. when and where Airbnb state that their fee is non-refundable.

Best, Sandra

Hi 

@Sandra856

🙂

I am very aware of such function  🙂 . I would expect no less from a company such as AirBnB to have both clear upfront policy statements accessible directly from the host's page AND from the AirBnB terms&policies page. In fact, I believe it is the first place one checks should one become dubious of their claims. Which I obviously did.

Believe it or not though Sandra, no-where in the refund dedicated articles accessible from the AirBnB website or the host's page, does it state: that no refund is elligible for any amounts paid during a pay-less upfront transaction under normal cancellation refund circumstances.

So Again, could someone indicate to me where such could be found stated in AirBnB's/hosts policies? (perhaps, it's in the convoluting terms page? I tried my best, but could also not find anything related)

Hi @Sandra856 🙂

I have checked the host's cancellation policy. Plus, the AirBnB's own term&policies page and their refund dedicated articles as soon as I became dubious of their claims. I have as well checked the term's page, which is a massive convoluting terms&condition page. There too I have personally not found anything, but there could be the possibility that I missed something.

Believe it or not though, no where does it state in those places: that no refund is elligible for any amounts paid during a  pay less upfront  transaction.

So again, could you maybe help me locate where such statement could be obtained, read or agreed upon before hypothetical payments?

Xianhao0
Level 2
Hamburg, Germany

c575aad6a1da32edfcdd4b9ab756d558.png
HOST's CANCELLATOIN POLICY:

bdb8aaf4515efe4d8c880212208d1e8d.png

CLICKING ON "GET FULL DETAILS"

60dfab9394b2dcf86f039d17bac976d8.png

Xianhao0
Level 2
Hamburg, Germany

c575aad6a1da32edfcdd4b9ab756d558.png
HOST's CANCELLATOIN POLICY:

bdb8aaf4515efe4d8c880212208d1e8d.png

CLICKING ON "GET FULL DETAILS"

60dfab9394b2dcf86f039d17bac976d8.png

Terms's page: https://www.airbnb.com/terms#sec9

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Xianhao0  The pay less upfront option has no bearing one way or the other on the cancellation policy, those are two separate things, not connected in any way.  It's simply a more convenient payment option for some guests, rather than paying for all upfront. 

The 50% refund you seem to be entitled to is 50% of the total amount of the reservation (minus Airbnb fees, which are non-refundable after 48 hours and the cleaning fee, which won't be charged) . The amount of $ you put down on this reservation doesn't affect those terms, whether it was half, or you paid the full amount at the time of booking. 

If you are thinking you are entitled to 50% back of the half you paid upfront, it doesn't work like that. You are entitled to 50% of the complete reservation charge.

So you're saying that: Because it is not EXPLICITLY stated whether or not, a non-complete reservation charge can be refunded. It is therefore not refundable?

@Xianhao0 @The thing is it is not an non-complete reservation when you have booked. You as a customer sometimes got the opportunity to split the payment but the agreement is the same. 

You have booked and blocked the dates/calender so no one else can book the listing and used the airbnb platform to do so.

Dear @Sandra856 ❤️  the thing is, I don't think that you understand: that I understand very well what service fee and ooportunity cost mean :- ) There is a reason why full-refund is elligible only for cancellations made within 48hours and otherwise only 50% refund - no refund.

Because there would be people that could have made reservations that wouldn't have been cancelled during this time period :). You see? I understand perfectly what you're trying to tell me! 🙂

It is the very fact that I DO believe that the agreement is the same. That I was hoping for a 50% refund of what I have paid.

Your reply answers nothing.

@Xianhao0 Sorry, I'm afraid I don't understand your question then. 

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

@Xianhao0 If you were to get more money back just because you choose to split the payment it would be very unfair to those who choose to pay in full.

So the cancellation policy is the same for those who choose to split and those who pay in full straight ahead 🙂 

@Sarah977  Obviously, I can do the simple math of 50% of 100% is more than 50% of 50%. 🙂  🙂 

Why don't you put yourself in my perspective?

You're a student, your monthly allowance persuaded you to choose the pay less upfront option. So you don't have to pay your entire monthly allowance at once. Instead, pay in 2 more manageable parts 🙂 .

Now, despite the transaction now being cut into two smaller parts. The parts are still of hefty amounts. ~200 euro each.

Since you so dearly state that the "cancellation policy is the same for those who choose to split and those who pay in full" then why should I not be even considered to become elligible for refund of the 200 euro that I have paid following the normal cancellation policy? 

It is not stated explicitly anywhere, that paying in parts includes risks of not becoming elligible for refund under any circumstances. Which, is what concerns me.

I don't know how to explain this any clearer than I already have. : D

Wait, I understand now. >_> Since the hypothetical elligible refund IS 50% of the full charge, and I, for one, HAVE only paid 50% from the get-go. AirBnB is not required to refund me basically the 50% that I did NOT pay. I'm sorry it took me this long to get this. Thank you for your reply and patience. I'm really freaking dumb.

Dan12468
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

If the rent was £100 and she paid £60 upfront - how much would she get back??? @Sandra856 @Xianhao0 @Sarah977