No refund whatsoever for partial payments?

Answered!
Xianhao0
Level 2
Hamburg, Germany

No refund whatsoever for partial payments?

Does AirBnB state anywhere publically that no refund is elligible for accommodation fees paid in parts even if cancellation is made at least 7 days prior (so not even 50%)?

The accommodation in question has strict refund policy. The payment would have been made in 2 parts of equal size. 1 part was paid.

Both the AirBnB team assistant and the host so far have implied, that such is the case. However both fail to provide indications as to where such information could be obtained, read or agreed upon before hypothetical payment to either party.

Help is appreciated.

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Xianhao0  The pay less upfront option has no bearing one way or the other on the cancellation policy, those are two separate things, not connected in any way.  It's simply a more convenient payment option for some guests, rather than paying for all upfront. 

The 50% refund you seem to be entitled to is 50% of the total amount of the reservation (minus Airbnb fees, which are non-refundable after 48 hours and the cleaning fee, which won't be charged) . The amount of $ you put down on this reservation doesn't affect those terms, whether it was half, or you paid the full amount at the time of booking. 

If you are thinking you are entitled to 50% back of the half you paid upfront, it doesn't work like that. You are entitled to 50% of the complete reservation charge.

View Best Answer in original post

26 Replies 26

@Dan12468 

You ask:

"If the rent was £100 and she paid £60 upfront - how much would she get back???"

The answer is: £10.

@Ute42

.. or maybe £10 if she agrees to take a voucher, but only £2.50 if she insists on cash 😉

@Susan17 

I think we should leave these options to our valued guests.

Their choice is our choice, as always.

Absolutely @Ute42! Couldn't agree more 😉

@Dan12468  Is this a trick question?  🙂 If you're just talking about the nightly fee, and it was $100, if someone paid $60 up front and there was a 50% cancellation policy, the person would get $10 back.

Dan12468
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

@Ute42 

How did you calculate £10?

@Dan12468 

With a pocket calculator.

Dan12468
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

@Xianhao0 @Ute42 @Susan17 @Sandra856 @Sarah977 

When a customer (who believes that a 50% refund is actually a 50% refund) loses ALL the money they've paid because they have to cancel because of Corona, the host wins.

Yes, the host wins.

You might complain about all the lost bookings etc, etc, - but you are happily taking money with misleading small print and taking advantage of a terrible situation.

Shame on all of you.

@Dan12468  

You are naging on this refund issue in 3 seperate threads today. And I answered in all of them. In one of them I wrote to You:

• to begin with, the only reason I'm answering in this thread is the fact that I haven't seen any guests in weeks and I won't see any many months ahead, so there is absolutely nothing to do and I'm a little bored.

Meanwhile I fould myself something to do and I'm done with this.

Have a nice day

@Dan12468 

Why should Hosts be ashamed of a contractual obligation you signed up to, hosts did not write that garbage Airbnb did and most often then not, Host come out at the losing end of Airbnb's chaotic decisions making.

@Dan12468  "When a customer (who believes that a 50% refund is actually a 50% refund)"

Contracts are not based on what you "believe". They are based upon what is actually written there. What is clearly written on the cancellation policies is that if you cancel in a certain timeframe, you will receive 50% refund of the total nightly cost of the entire booking, not 50% of what what you paid up front. If you failed to read the terms of the cancellation policy, that's no one's fault but your own.

Whether or not a host is amenable to giving guests who cancel because of coronavirus inability to travel a 100% refund or not is a separate issue.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Oh. My. God.

You think we've all salted away a little treasure trove of guests' money that we shouldn't have, @Dan12468?? Let me tell you something. I'm sitting here without a pot to piss in, a family to feed and no idea how the hell I'm going to cover my bills for the foreseeable future or keep the roof over our heads, solely because - like countless thousands of other hosts on the platform - Airbnb cleared my calendar under their dodgy Extenuating Circumstances policy (so far, from beg. March to end June, but that will be extended, likely for many months after that) and generously refunded all my guests in full... well, allegedly, in full. From what I've gleaned so far, a few got their 100% refunds, most were palmed off with vouchers, and others are still trying to get what they're owed out of Airbnb.

At no point was I, or any other host, allowed the opportunity ourselves to work out a fair or equitable alternative with our guests, and at no point have we seen or held a red cent of that money. It's all languishing in Airbnb's coffers. 

You call that a win? You call that me taking advantage of a terrible situation?? You think we write or benefit from the d*mn fine print???

Check your facts before you come on here wagging your sanctimonious, self-righteous finger at hosts who have been shafted 1000 times more by Airbnb than any guest ever has been, or will be. And take your entitled gripes and grievances to the company,and ask them where any missing guest refunds are, because it's sod all to do with us. Give Brian Chesky a shout, I'm sure he'd be thrilled to hear from you. 

And next time, maybe guests should consider taking their own responsibility for their own travel disruptions, by purchasing their own travel insurance, to cover for all eventualities. Like any responsible ethical traveller who doesn't expect total strangers to pick up the tab for them when things go wrong does.