New to hosting - guest stealing

New to hosting - guest stealing

Hi,  I am newer to hosting. Just started this summer. We have an entire house on this platform and we keep having things stolen from the house. These are not big things but items like blankets, laundry baskets, and small decor items. Is this just the cost of doing business or is there a way to deter this type of behavior? These are all items under $30, but it’s frustrating to keep having to replace. Thoughts ?? 

Katherine Fuller
4 Replies 4

@Katherine873   Different types of items go missing for different reasons. Theft happens, but it's usually not the culprit.

Fragile decorative items like glass or ceramics disappear because someone they get knocked over and broken, shards tossed into the trash, and the guest neglects to report it. You can try asking the primary booked guest to report such incidents, but they might not be aware of everything the others in their group did.

Blankets go missing more often when there are small children or pets. Sometimes they just get packed up by mistake with the heaps of stuff some parents carry around for the kids. But they often turn up in unexpected places...sometimes with very unpleasant surprises bundled up inside. Proceed with caution.

Laundry baskets? Plural? Well, those don't exactly fit into a suitcase, so nobody is packing them up by mistake. But they take up too much space in a car to be worth "stealing." If you've lost multiple laundry baskets before you've even gotten your first review, something really weird must be going on.

If there's one thing you could do to reduce your shrinkage losses, it would be to reduce your occupancy limit. You have an absolutely beautiful 3-bedroom house that would be just perfect for a group of up to 6 people, but you're offering it for as many as 10 (for some reason, your living room is listed as a "queen bed," which turns this very stylish room into a clown car.) The more people you have in a group, the less each member of the group feels responsible for damage and losses, and the more chaotic all the action in your house is going to be. 

I see a lot of new hosts now seem to be overestimating the advantages of cramming as many people as possible into a home, but one thing you should know is that offering an occupancy of 10 actually lowers your visibility in search for the smaller groups that are more suitable for your home size. It may still be an advantage, if your target guests simply haven't heard of birth control, but with that many people running around you will have to budget for much costlier issues in the near future.

Thank you for this thoughtful reply. I will take your advise and limit the number of guests. 

Katherine Fuller
Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Katherine873 @Anonymous 

I read through many post about Airbnb both here and FB, it look to me like people are running a refuge camp the amount of bodies they try to cram in, to me that is not comfortable,

Personally I like the space maybe take a different look at how to run your airbnb,

Many times we have 2 people book a 3 bedroom pool villa we charge by the unit not per person,

I remember once a guy booked a 3 bedroom pool villa for himself, He said exactly that he likes the space,

Maybe go over to YT lots of  video's there might be useful,

Bye the way as for getting things stolen I just realise we had 2 ashtrays stolen,

@Sudsrung0 Call the police!

No no, actually when ashtrays go missing from a place like yours, they've just fallen off the balcony. Unless your ashtrays are Jeff Koons originals, your guests did not decide to take them home.