New to Air BnB: some practical questions

Answered!
Liz265
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

New to Air BnB: some practical questions

Hi, I've started hosting on Air BnB this week! I've been pleased with the number of bookings already 🙂

However, there are a few things I'm noticing or need to manage to ensure my guests have the best stay possible, but that's it's also practical for me:

1. Someone has just booked on behalf of a friend - how does this work? I don't feel too comfortable...

2. Any suggestions for managing cleaning & bed sheet arrangements for longer length stays i.e. 3 or more weeks?

3. I have 'pre approved' for someone who had an enquiry about my place. I didn't however block the dates out because I've seen people don't always go on to book and it prevents others from booking for at least 24 hours. In the meantime, someone else enquired about those dates. The original person then booked before I responded to the second enquiry (I am responding v quickly to all messages) so I had to explain the place wasn't free. I got a message from Air BNB saying I should keep my calendar up to date! I ahve been diligently doing this. Is it the case you should always block the dates if you pre approve a booking to avoid this happening?

Sorry for all the questions! Grateful for any help you can give 🙂

Liz

1 Best Answer
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Liz265   Good to ask all the questions you have.  You can also read the numerous discussion threads about all the issues and more. Just use the search function.  Also, there are tutorials under Help in the site for several common process issues.

Anyway, to your questions:  1) No third party booking is supported on Air BNB unless the third party is a registered travel manager for business purposes.  Ask Air BNB help with cancelling this reservation.  2) Many hosts use a standard of weekly change of linens for longer stays.  Of course if someone is renting several months, the cleaning and linens may have a different agreement. 3) When you pre-approve, you can choose to block the dates for the 24 hour period. Otherewise the default is to leave the dates open and Instant Book guests can book.  Booking supercedes preapproval.

Hope this helps and I wish you success in your new business!

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Liz265   Good to ask all the questions you have.  You can also read the numerous discussion threads about all the issues and more. Just use the search function.  Also, there are tutorials under Help in the site for several common process issues.

Anyway, to your questions:  1) No third party booking is supported on Air BNB unless the third party is a registered travel manager for business purposes.  Ask Air BNB help with cancelling this reservation.  2) Many hosts use a standard of weekly change of linens for longer stays.  Of course if someone is renting several months, the cleaning and linens may have a different agreement. 3) When you pre-approve, you can choose to block the dates for the 24 hour period. Otherewise the default is to leave the dates open and Instant Book guests can book.  Booking supercedes preapproval.

Hope this helps and I wish you success in your new business!

Liz265
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

Hi Linda,

Thank you very much for your responses, they are most helpful. In the end I contacted the person and she is staying (re the third party booking) so it was resolved amicably. I am getting used to the booking system now, and other aspects. All the best for you and your business too. Liz 🙂

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Liz265

Please do have a look at the community guides and tutorials in these forums and Airbnb Help Centre They will answer the vast majority of your questions including the ones you have asked here.

If you have a third party booking and have IB turned on you can cancel without charge citing a third party booking as the reason.

Liz265
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

Thank you very much Helen. I've takensome time out to read the guidance, veyr good point! And thanks re the third party booking, the person is actually staying so a miscommunication and its been resolved, so all good 🙂 Thanks, again, Liz 🙂