My guest does not have a working phone number

Rita58
Level 6
Burbank, CA

My guest does not have a working phone number

I have a guest arriving in a couple hours so I text her and the number is not a working number.  I wrote to her through airbnb and she said.  "lets keep it simple, I dont like to make calls so I probably wont call you unless its an emergency"  I let her know I needed a working number only in case of emegencey and she has not replied. 

What do you guys think?

7 Replies 7
Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

I would just wait and see if she checks in in a few hours. do you have an ETA from her? have you called that number, or the number you got in the confirmation? Maybe she has an ancient phone that doesn't do texting? maybe she is on a plane, whatever... there can be lots of innocent explanations. You'll know more in a few hours...

Thank you, i'll wait and see.

James1
Level 10
SF, CA

Speaking from 5 years of hosting experience, you are better off if all communication with your guests or hosts is through the airbnb message system. I have had many, many guests from foreign countries who arrive on an airplane to San Francisco and are surprised their cell phone won't work in this country! Duh! Some of them get the necessary local SIMM card, but others just log onto my wifi or some free coffee shop wifi and get by with no cell phone.

Tania-and-Andrew0
Level 10
Cancún, Mexico

Most of my guests don't have a working phone while they are here and it all works out fine. The only real emergency number that has to be on her/his profile is the emergency contact. Airbnb should have it so worry not. As others have said, keep all communication within Airbnb message system.

Thanks for your reply.  She lives in the same state.  Just thought it was odd. Also, I thought it was a form of verifiation. Out of the 40 something people from all over the world that I have hosted, this is the first time.  No biggie but I do like having it in case of emergencty and because I am not getting all my messages through airbnb unless I log in.  

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Some of my guests do not have a phone number (rare but happens) but I have a basic pre-paid mobile I lend them if it is during summer as I want every guest to be contactable in case of emergencies. Australia is in bushfire danger all summer long and it alarms me if I don't know that I can reach guests. You could always keep a spare phone, I paid $12 for mine. I know it is a slightly unrelated answer but guests have always been happy to use it. They can put credit on if they like.

The phone shows a number but isn't working.  It is only a one night reservation, but we are traveling and so want to do a good job and make sure goes smoothly. Communication, for me is the key. Bad expereinces are breakdown in communcations and good one just make it all work and everyone HAPPY and GOOD reviews - that is all we want.  Any ideas or suggestions. Have written, but no response yet.  My one bad review was when things broke down and we were gone and guess and caretaker could not connect and communicate AT THAT POINT and then 4 hour issue and bad review.  Rather cancel than that, but do not want that black mark either?