Massachusetts regulations

Nancy634
Level 2
Salt Point, NY

Massachusetts regulations

I'm a little late to the party on learning more about Massachusetts short-term rental regulations. I'm a host in the Berkshires and hoping that Airbnb's liability insurance has us coverned for the new law requiring liability coverage. Also, is there a government site set up to register as a short-term rental?

Thanks, Nancy

4 Replies 4
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Nancy634 

If you use related keywords in the Search Box here in CC you should be able to find helpful info re this in your location - If my memory serves me well it was discussed for your area recently.

Maybe also reach out to others ABB users through the PM system as it's good to have networks offline as well as online in your community.

All the best

Central To All Home & Location

@Nancy634  Massachusetts host here.  We have a rental on the Cape.  We contacted our homeowners insurance company, and had to adjust the policy to add that liability piece.  Surprisingly, it was not a significant increase.  

Hello Bruce and Patty,

What insurance company do you use? I's there a specific  agent you'd suggest? Based on your experience, it sounds like a good lead.  I'd prefer not to start from scratch when I have to move quickly.   My current insurance company cannot accommodate.   Is this an umbrella policy?

Thank you!  Much appreciated.

Lisa

Rick321
Level 1
United States

Hi Hypothetical question:  As a MA Cape host who rents thru the summer only, I plan to comply with the new law by defining all rentals as 32 days in duration and therefore tax exempt.  Guests will agree to book 7 days in July & 25 days in December for a total of 32. The 25 days in December will be limited access. Why wouldn't this work?