Lost revenue due to not being able to book due to prior guest damage and the Host Guarantee

Answered!
Pablo83
Level 2
Eugene, OR

Lost revenue due to not being able to book due to prior guest damage and the Host Guarantee

Hello, I recently suffered Host Guarantee covered losses. And due to these losses, I was not able to book my home 5 days. I declined a sure thing 2 night booking, and blocked the calendar until we could get our house in working order for guests. We had to repair and clean, but the biggest problem was that the bad prior guest had taken the keys to our property and did not return them. Given that his behavior at our home was horrendous, we decided changing the locks was necessary to ensure safety and security of our home. In Nicaragua everything takes time. So when I made a claim for only 2 of those 5 nights I had to take the house out of service, I was shocked to be denied. So I asked the Claims Resolution Rep if since my home was out of service due to the covered losses, would not by lost revenue be covered? She never answered. No response. So weird. A contract is a contract though. So she should have answered and relied on the contract. That the claim rep just seemingly disappeared it makes me very suspicious that I am right and I am getting screwed here. I'd love some input.  

1 Best Answer

@Pablo83  Presumably by now you've read through the terms of the Host Guarantee here: https://www.airbnb.com/terms/host_guarantee

The Host Guarantee does claim to cover booking income loss, but the loss would be calculated

"according to bona fide Airbnb confirmed bookings, contracts or agreements in force prior to the established time of loss."

I have no insider knowledge of how Guarantee claims work, but my interpretation of this passage is that they would only consider income to have been lost if you had to cancel confirmed bookings.  I don't see any indication that you can pursue compensation for unbooked dates that you chose to block on your calendar, so if this is what happened you might have reached a dead end.

You should, however, be compensated for the locksmith.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3

@Pablo83  Presumably by now you've read through the terms of the Host Guarantee here: https://www.airbnb.com/terms/host_guarantee

The Host Guarantee does claim to cover booking income loss, but the loss would be calculated

"according to bona fide Airbnb confirmed bookings, contracts or agreements in force prior to the established time of loss."

I have no insider knowledge of how Guarantee claims work, but my interpretation of this passage is that they would only consider income to have been lost if you had to cancel confirmed bookings.  I don't see any indication that you can pursue compensation for unbooked dates that you chose to block on your calendar, so if this is what happened you might have reached a dead end.

You should, however, be compensated for the locksmith.

Pablo83
Level 2
Eugene, OR

Dear Andrew, Thank you so much for getting back to me. So helpful. Just getting feedback on this matter is all I needed. I had one experience with the claims resolution department. This one. Part of the claim was with an amazing AirBNB employee, who treated us so fairly. But for this claim for lost booking revenue, to be ignored when I asked for a little clarification, just created suspicion in me. So now that I have heard from someone (you), I can  move on. Thank you so much for your consideration. I feel so much better just hearing what you wrote that we were not being dealt with unfairly after all. 

Dee898
Level 1
Deerfield Beach, FL

HOST GUARANTEE - BEING SCREWED 

I HAD A SITUATION WITH A GUEST LIVING IN MY HOME AND WHILE IT WAS WGOING ON CONTACTED AIRBNB TO CANCEL THE RESERVATION TO GET THE GUEST OUT OF MY HOME IN WHICH i ALSO LIVE.  I FOLLOWED AIRBNB MANY STEP, MANY CALLS, EMAILS, PICTURES.... SO NO AVAIL.  I SPOKE TO SEVERAL REPRS EXPRESSING THEIR EMPATHY WITH WHAT I WAS GOING THROUGH WITH TH GUEST.  FINALLY WHEN THE GUEST LEFT I TOOK VIDEO, ,AMY PICTURES, FILE CLAIM SPOKE WITH A DIFFERENT CASE MANAGER.  THE POLICIES ARE CLEARLY NOTED IN HOUSE GUIDELINE - NO SMOKING AND CLEANINESS, PAYMENT FOR DAMAGES.  WHEN I FILE MY CLAIM RESOLUTION CENTER WITH AIRBNB , JOSE , GAVE ME THE RUNAROUND.  KEPT ASKING FOR PICTURES, I PROVIDED SIMILAR PICTURES, WEBSITES LINK.... THE CLAIM WAS FOR REPLACEMENTS OF ITEMS, STOLEN AND DAMAGES INCLUDING AIR VENT CLEANING AND REPLACEMENT OF CARPET, PROFESSIONAL CLEANING FEE ABOVE NAD BEYOND THE STANDARD $35.   TO SAY THE LEAST I AM IN BATTLE WITH AIRBNB. THEY SEND ME LESS THAN $400. I ALSO LOST INCOME... THE SECURITY DEPOSIT $1000 AND THEY HAVE NOT EVEN PROVIDED THAT.  i WILL FILE COMPLAINT AND MORE AS NEEDED.