Il-mannered and rude guests

Rosemary30
Level 2
Australia

Il-mannered and rude guests

About two hours after my guest arrived with her group consisting of two ladies and one gentleman (4 guests in total) the gentleman contacted me by phone about several issues: Tv not working; No gas bottle for bbq, heating was not working and no ice in fridge. I got to the guests within 10 - 15 mins: I was verbally bombarded by each of the four guests. I requested we start with the issues of concern.

The heating was by then working; Tv was working...I showed the gentleman how to use (I experienced and felt he was not interested); showed guests the ice in the freezer; I explained because of the inclement weather Bbq was in the entrance hall and gas bottle due to health and safety could not be left inside the house but was available anytime for them. I was derided for this comment.

Communication continued with each in turn being extremely rude and derogatory to me with regards to this 3 bedroom apt they had booked. They then began to ridicule the size of the bathrooms and the living areas and my descriptions of them. I suggested that as I could not do anything structurally with the apartment they were welcome to leave and I would give them a full refund. The lady who had booked stated to me: “we will finish our wine and let you know”. The lady contacted me 20 mins later and said “they had decided they would stay the 5 nights of their booking”. I replied “if there is anything I can do to make your stay more comfortable please let me know”. They made no more contact with me for the rest of their stay. Now they have sent me a review and I am unsure what should I do and what I should say about them as my guests. They left the apt clean and tidy….kitchen dishes and cups were washed but still a bit grotty... 

7 Replies 7
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I am not really sure what you are asking. Were they high maintenance or were those real issues for the guests? Maybe just say what you said at the end ''left the apartment clean and tidy''. To me, that last comment would say that the hosts had nothing good to say about the guests but they didn't destroy the place. Simple is enough. Hosts read between the lines, and these were not terrible guests at all. Just couldn't find things, got worked up about it, wanted to chat over wine before deciding it wasn't so bad. You have been in hospitality for 20 years, I am sure you have seen worse!

@Sandra126, the clean and tidy would actually make me think that well, they were clean and tidy - maybe it might make me think that there was no personal contact, but it would not make me think that they were difficult or highly unpleasant. so why is it that so many hosts have such difficulty saying anything slightly negative about their guests, even if it was a negative experience for them? Not berating you Sandra, just curious about it...

The host said they were clean and tidy. For me, I don't really care if they are rude (prefer nice, obviously) but I do want clean and tidy. Host reviews usually go a little longer if they got along with the guests (I always say ''recommend to future hosts'' as part of my reviews if I mean it). If they say rude guests, complained about everything, it may all be true. They may have been rude and impatient but they couldn't work things out and maybe clashed with the host, personality wise. As it is, they left the place clean and tidy. Ok guests, not awful. When I read the original question it seemed like they were mainly worried about posting a review which would in some way match the possibly bad one they are about to receive once they have posted theirs and then it will be too late to go in and give them an awful one. That is how I read it anyway but of course, I may be wrong! They really didn't seem bad at all, not entirely sure what advice they are seeking?

Tina20
Level 2
Ahmedabad, India

Hi

They gave you what they had, now you give them what you have.. : )

Keep smiling.

Tina

Lorna-and-Zoë0
Level 2
Tasmania, Australia

If there is an issue, guests are more than entitled to ask for assistance.  However, from what you have written, it sounds like your guests were unusually disgruntled, yet you were promt in addressing their concerns.  I would begin the review by stating that they left the apartment clean and tidy upon departure, but emphasise that when a few issues that required clarification arose, your guests seemed disproportionately unhappy and disgruntled, and that the interactions left you feeling uncomfortable.  You may also like to say that, once these matters were resolved, their comments began to extend to complaints about the apartment.  You asked whether they would like to find alternative accommodation, and offered to issue a full refund, however they chose to stay.  While you emphasised that they shouldn't hesitate to get back in touch if they needed anything, or if you could do anything to make their time at your apartment more comfortable, you didn't hear from them further, and hope that they had a pleasant stay.

If I read a review like this, I would assume that the guest was being unreasonably difficult, and if they have written something in their own review that is problematic, it shows that they both chose to stay and did not contact you again (which is particularly helpful if they say an issue was not resolved, was recurring, or if a new complaint is brought up). 

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Sounds like they were a bit demanding but some people just are - you have lovely reviews. How do you know what they have said in theirs? I looked at your last few for each location and while one person mentioned it being a bit unusual layout it wasn't bad. 

Were they bad guests - doesnt sound like it to me. Clean and tidy but dishes needed some more attention - thats part of the hosting. Hopefully 99.9% of your guests are just nicer people.

Debbie38
Level 3
Dunfermline, United Kingdom

it sucks when guests are rude and exceptionally demanding as there is no need for it. I have also experienced this and either I write no review or I'm honest about the good and the bad