If only a 3 star rating.....

Sheryil0
Level 2
Tauranga, New Zealand

If only a 3 star rating.....

I saw a post on here from a host that got a three star rating and how it affected there listing....outrageous I thought.

Well it happened to us, a guest checked in a day before a long summer weekend here in NZ, our first public holiday in several months, and properties were scarce as hens teeth.  This guest couldn't stay where she had been because they had friends coming to stay for the long weekend so unfortunately she booked our place.

All went well initially I showed her the room and she seemed happy.  After 3 hours I got a phone call that I thought she initially said the wifi wasn't working and as we live upstairs I said oh I'll come down and connect it for you....the guest said it wasn't necessary as she had been using it, it just wasn't fast enough and maybe I might like to give her a discount of the room price.  I declined as we don't give discounts, take cash payments etc etc....well no discount she may have to check out, and get a full refund.  Sorry no full refund after you have checked in and I wouldn't be able to rent the room to anyone else as only 2 hours till check in closes.  The guest said if I don't get a full refund I will go to the resolution centre which she did.

Now I am happy to say the resolution upheld our decision and we were paid in full and one would expect that to be an end of the matter....but no wait theres more.

The guest who had eaten all her snacks in her three hours and used the wifi and bathroom, and we have ultra fast hi fibre wifi, which I cannot control the speed of and I am wondering how fast a person actually needs to be going on the internet as I've always found it really good.  Unlimited as well, some hotels charge for wifi.

The guest was able to post a 1 * review, gave me 5* for cleanliness and communication but overall 1*.  I responed and Air BNB removed my response becauseI said we do not give discounts as explained and AIR BNB upheld our decision on this.....(Not allowed to mention resoluton centre).  One would think this was an end to the matter but no...theres more.....

First an email from Air BNB giving me some tips to improve my bookings, lower my price, open days that are booked.......then an email saying if I get a low rating again they will suspend my account for 5 days.....really after you upheld our decision.

I understand if they had ruled in the guests favour but it feels like I am being punished and I wish this particular guest had never ever booked our property. I also realise that in time her review will disappear but it feels like 3 years of being a good host and I have been stabbed.

5 Replies 5
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Ugh. So sorry.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Sheryil0 

Was it the review from S. (overpriced etc...) ?

Did you not review her (yet) ?

Just curious how your review will be !

Sheryil0
Level 2
Tauranga, New Zealand

Yes, and it was 158 not 185....I didn't review her because she didn't stay and I hoped she would do the same but clearly not.  Am I to late to reveiw her.....

It must be too late for you to review her by now. Once you pass the 14 day review period, there is no option to review. But if she reviewed you, it will still go public.

Yes you are right Natalie, but I can't even respond to her comment because I had one option and because I mentioned the resolution centre, I am now blocked from placing a review even if I don't mention them.