I've been evicted from my apartment because of airbnb

Carlos86
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

I've been evicted from my apartment because of airbnb

Hi everyone, does anyone know who I can cotact on airbnb becuase I have a bunch of reservations for the summer but I've been evicted from my apartment because of airbnb so I', not sure how to proceed.

If someone could help pelase thank you!

7 Replies 7
Adam38
Level 1
New York, NY

Carlos, did you get any resolution or answers on this? same thing is happening to me right now.

Hi,

I'm apperently having the same problem as well. Wonder if you already found solution for this issue

Best,

Matta

The easiest way is to Contact Airbnb directly and have them do it.  Be aware, there will be penalties for doing so.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

To be fair to AirBnB it sounds like you have been evicted for subletting, which is must be against your lease conditions, and it has nothing to do with AirBnB.

Contact them to see if they can rehouse your guests to help them out.

Paul0
Level 10
Brunswick, Australia

Hi @Carlos86,

You haven't been evicted 'because of Airbnb', rather you've broken the terms of your lease (or possibly not).  Does the lease cut and dry say you're not allowed to Short Term Rent / Airbnb?  On what grounds are they evicting you?

It's a slippery slope (and varies depending on your local laws) but as an Airbnb Host in a rental you are issuing a temporary and revocable license to Guests it is NOT a 'sublet' - commonly what Landlords suggest.

Either way, It's probably time to start messaging your Guests and let them know you won't be able to Host them.  Better to be helpful and get ahead of the wave rather than distress some poor holiday makers.

Keep us up to date and best of luck with it.

Cheers,

Paul

---

I am also having this problem.  Airbnb directed me to their "trust and safety" center, where the person on the phone asked if I was in immediate danger (I'm worried about a 3-day eviction, which is kind of like immediate problem but not quite).  Then she couldn't do anything else and said someone would call me (they didn't).  24 hours later I called again; again they couldn't do anything but this time it was because "there's already a case open".

I am pretty sure that the case open is about the huge party that was here, as though I'd opened a case against the airbnb guest group, and not about the problem that I actually have.  Right now I'm working things through with my landlord and trying to get help any way I can.

I can't say I feel sorry to any of you. I am a landlord myself and I am amazed of people who think they are innocent while purposely deceiving their landlords. Trust is crucial in this kind of relationship, and you all unscrupulously broke it. You bring in a lot of complications unto the landlord, yourself and family with the laws. Honestly you could have just could tried to negociate with your landlords a seperate agreement with them to allow you airbnb activities so all parties are properly compensate and legally protected. But noooo, "lets go for an easy buck!" You all deserve what is coming and feel lucky that you any kind of days notices at all.