How to properly remedy a guest situation gone bad

Mya6
Level 1
Baltimore, MD

How to properly remedy a guest situation gone bad

I had 2 guests who checked into my apartment. I was not there. I texted them to ask if they had gotten in ok, but did not hear back from them. A day later, at 3 am,  they texted me to ask if they could have a late checkout, which I allowed. On returning to my apartment 30 minutes after they were supposed to have checked out. It looks like they had had a big breakfast for several people, had a dog which i had never been told about, and had several sex toys on the table. They were still cleaning the place. They did clean the place as i sat there, but I write them a bad review and they never wrote me back a review. Do I have any recourse or any way to let people know that these people do not respect people's space?

3 Replies 3
Brian0
Level 2
San Carlos, CA

Hi Mya,

The best way to warn other hosts about these guests is what you already did: you wrote a bad review. As another host, I appreciate you taking the time to warn people away from these guests who didn't respect your property.

If you feel like they went too far and broke Airbnb's terms of service, get in touch with Airbnb support and let them know. If you ever need to do that in the future, contact support immediately, or within 24 hours of noticing a problem.

Lois-and-Darryl0
Level 10
Rochester, WA

Hi Mya:  I'm so sorry about this experience.  You have a cute little place and obviously your Guests appreciate it too.  I don't see any glaring issues, so I wonder if you may consider putting some expectations in your listing.  For example, I tell people right in the listing that we appreciate a call or text upon arrival that they and our home are ok.  And everyone always texts me the moment they arrive.  When I send our Guests their "informational" email, I tell them ahead of time, if I think they may be able to check out late on that day.  Or, I will say, that weekend, we will have to be there upon your checkout to clean.  I would suggest a trip to a flea mart or Goodwill for a couple modern pictures on the walls).  Your place is clean and certainly more than affordable (is it too affordable, and might you attract people who are looking for a quick hang-out?).  You migh benefit with a little more personal words about what your personal expectation of care and communication is.  You do need to convey the message to your Guests that this is your property and you expect it to be respected.  Of course, not in a demanding way - but you're obviously a good writer, so you can convey this.  That's all I have, Mya.  Good Luck!  You have a sweet, clean little space, and I wish you well.  Lois & Darryl

Lois-and-Darryl0
Level 10
Rochester, WA

@Mya6:  Oh, I forgot to say that you are not required to contact Airbnb 24 hours within notice of damages, etc.  But, you do need to contact Airbnb before the next Guest stays.  When destruction has happened in our house, I immediately take photos and label each photo.  What I've learned is that you need to be able to value the destruction and loss.  If you don't have another Guest coming soon, you still have time to send these Guests to the Resolution Center.  The Guest receives your factual and non-emotional description of the damages and the breaking of the House Rules, and your request for damages and/or recovery.  If you don't have specific damages laid out in your House Rules, Airbnb may not be able to support you.  If you don't require sufficient Deposit, then Airbnb may be unable to support you.  If you don't require a sufficient Deposit, you could be inviting trouble from people looking for a party place in the city, although you have some great reviews!  You may still have the opportunity to make yourself feel better and to record that these Guests did not do you good by using the Resolution Center.  The info doesn't go public, but the Guests know it, and you feel better.  You do need receipts etc for damages.  And if there aren't direct costs, then you need to demonstrate how they broke your House Rules.  This is what I forgot to mention in my earlier post, that I don't think you have any of your own House Rules, and you may want to just add a few to show people that your home is to be respected.  (Just a thought from a senior lady!  LOL)  Good Luck Mya!