How to deal with guests arriving with more people

Benoit-And-Angel0
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

How to deal with guests arriving with more people

Hi Airbnb community, my husband and I have been hosting for years and we are also co host of my parents property. We see an increasing number of disrespectful guests. For three stays consecutively, guests would show up with more people than booked for.

We have a few self contained units that can accommodate up to 4 guests however there are extra charges for 3 or more guests. We list on our description, pictures and house rules that visitors are not allowed and the property has video surveillance so we would know if they bring extra people.    Sometimes when we confront the guests, they would apologize and pay for the extra fees but at the end they give us a bad review or low score. Sometimes they won’t even apologize instead just tell us that’s the way it is. And it’s not just about the money, we live in the same property and we just feel so disrespected in our own home.

If we ever report to Airbnb of the disrecpectful behaviour, Airbnb never take any action. What can we do? It’s very disheartening to see our hard work to provide a safe and comfortable stays for all guests would just get crushed by people who clearly don’t care to respect others. We really hope Airbnb would at least try to encourage the guests to be honest or warn the next hosts of the possible bad guests. Please help if you have any idea. Much appreciated!

3 Replies 3
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Benoit-And-Angel0

you live at the same location, right? So why don't you check in your guests personally? And make sure you mention this in your listing's description. Turn off self-check-in option and set your check in/out time frame.

If they show with more people then booked then YOU ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO LET THEM IN. Confront them on your doorstep at arrival, take a phone or laptop, alter their reservation and make them accept it before you let them in.

You can do what we do - ask all people in the group to show you their photo ID and take a photo of it so you know if the guest who booked is in the group and who you gave the key to your home

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

Sear Benoit & Angel, I don't know your market but perhaps charging the 4 guest price for the unit at the get go would help. You could, if the guests were nice, offer a special offer discount if there were only 2, once the guests were on site and proving to be pleasant guests. I couldn't see your listing but do you let guests know that yours is a tranquil get away with helpful hosts on site as well as stating your no visitors policy?  Bad guests are worse than days without bookings and there are good guests out there, I'm sure, in your beautiful part of the world , Sally (Go Warriors, been a fan since before there was a Raptors team, you guys are classy & good tho')

Joyce214
Level 2
Savannah, GA

AIRBNB refused to help me with 3 guests.  They just said it was my fault.   I even sent pictures to them.  I also  called their attention to messages where they said they were bring more prople but only booked 1 instead of the 4 that stayed. Disappointed with this company.