How to be host of a flat abroad

Andrea2804
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

How to be host of a flat abroad

Hello Airbnb Community,

My name is Andrea, I am Italian and live in London.

I have been thinking to buy a flat in a Mediterranean country (my favourite choice is Greece) and rent it through Airbnb.

if any of you is in a situation similar to what I am thinking (owner of a flat in a foreign country let through Airbnb), could you please share your experience?

What do you find most difficult? How do you manage check-ins/outs? How do you take care of cleaning and refurbishing? How do you provide maintenance?

Thanks,

Andrea

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Do your homework and market research before choosing your location. Work out how much profit you are likely to make, after all your costs and taxes

1. Is it legal to do STR where you are thinking of doing Airbnb? 

2. You need a co-host who can manage your listing on the ground and manage the cleaner

3. You can use self check in

4; You need home insurance for STR and CCTV

I'm co host for my son properties in Poland. I'm in USA and I do all work on internet managing on Airbnb as well as other places. My son is the owner and is making sure that everything is working fine including suply and cleaning. You as the owner will have my son position and my responsibility, your co host will have my position with my son responsibility. I thing you will need some kind of company to supervise your property.

I would not hire some one you do not know.

Grece is beautiful place and Greeks very frendly people.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Andrea2804, I was wondering if you have seen Helen's reply? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Andrea2804
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Hello,

Thank you for your reply, it is very useful indeed!

I did not realise Helen’s replied because I did not receive any notification in my mailbox (while I did receive a notification about Quincy’s email). Moreover since Monday I am in Dubai for work and did not check my personal emails.

Helen, how do I find a co-host? Do I have to look for current hosts in the city I am thinking and ask her/him to support me?

Thanks,

Andrea