How safe to book with a new host who offline ID not verified yet?

Alice57
Level 2
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia

How safe to book with a new host who offline ID not verified yet?

6 Replies 6
Alice57
Level 2
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia

Hi,

I came across to a new host who just recently advertise the apartment in Airbnb. He has got his email address, phone number and Linked-in account verified. But he has not verified his offline ID yet.

Is this safe to book? 

@Alice57 Does he have any reviews?  One way to satisfy yourself this person is trustworthy is to send an inquiry and ask questions about him and his listing.  Judge by his answers.  I wouldn't necessarily worry about safety unless the host asks you to communicate by direct email, outside of Airbnb's messaging, or asks you to pay cash or pay by wire transfer, again outside of Airbnb.  If you communicate and pay through Airbnb, all of Airbnb's protections are in place.  If you go outside of Airbnb all bets are off. 

Alice57
Level 2
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia

Hi Clare,

Good day to you and thank you for your reply.

Yes, all our communications go through Airbnb. Owner is first time on Airbnb and he doesn't have any review yet. He never request me to send email to personal email outside Airbnb. Also, our payment are done through Airbnb as well. I hope everything goes smooth by the time I get there. But I'm just afraid that owner didn't show up and I have no place to stay. Perhaps I'm thinking too much.

@Alice57 No, you're not thinking too much.  You are wise to be cautious.  Another thing I would advise you to do is to keep a copy of your itinerary handy just in case you run into problems.  There's a support contact number to Airbnb as well as all the contact details for the host.  I always advise my guests to print a copy in the event they need them. 

Hope you have a wonderful time!

Áine1
Level 2
Dublin, Ireland

Hey Alice,

Just wondering how you got on? I'm in the same situation myself!

Thanks,

Áine

How did you get on?