How do I know a new listing is not a scam?

Answered!
Luke281
Level 2
Hilton, United Kingdom

How do I know a new listing is not a scam?

If I book and pay for a new property listing, am i covered if the listing is a scam? The only info I can find on the website about any protection is that Airbnb holds your money until 24hrs after check in before paying the host. Does this apply to all payments for a booking? Does this mean that if I arrive to find the property doesn't exist, and I alert Airbnb, they will simply refund me? How would I alert them? Many thanks

1 Best Answer
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

If you got to the listing and it wasn't there (unlikely) then yes, Airbnb would refund you, @Luke281. What's so fishy about the listing you are looking at?

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

If you got to the listing and it wasn't there (unlikely) then yes, Airbnb would refund you, @Luke281. What's so fishy about the listing you are looking at?

Luke281
Level 2
Hilton, United Kingdom

It's in a lesser known city in the Philippines, and my local  Filipino friends are keen for me to check it's not a scam... they obviously don't trust their local people! lol

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I see you have been reviewed 3 times as a guest, so you have some good experience, @Luke281 .  Like @Gordon0 I wonder what is spooking you about this listing.  Frankly if I had that concern I would not wait around until I arrived.  I would book with an experienced host that has many positive reviews.

Even if Air BNB gives you a total refund, you might not find something that suits your needs when you are under pressure.