How best to get refunded

Christo5
Level 2
Johannesburg, South Africa

How best to get refunded

In August 2017 I booked and paid for 5 nights in Sorrento in June 2018. It's now March 2018. About two weeks ago the host informed me that she was no longer in a position to host us as there would be no hot water at the time of our stay and we would not be able to prepair food - due to maintenance work in the building. When I wanted to cancel on my account, Airbnb advised me to ask the host to cancel on my behalf so that I could get a full refund. When I proposed this to my host, she advised me that if she had to cancel from her side, I would get no refund (which I find strange). I'm now caught up between the devil and the deep blue see. What should I do to get a full refund as it is very difficult to get hold of the Airbnb Call Centre from South Africa? 

Regards, Christo 

8 Replies 8
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Christo5

Frankly your host is lying to you. Of course if she cancels you would get a complete refund and a 10% uplift in additon to find something else.

Either there is building work going on during your planned stay and the host doesn't know that they can therefore cancel under extenuating circumstances. Or the host has over booked or wants to charge more and is cancelling your booking, but doesn#t want the cancellation penalties Airbnb imposes on them when you cancel as a host.

As you have already been in contact with Airbnb, call them again. They will be able to see that what the host has said on Airbnb messaging. Write back to your host and say that you have it confirmed by Airbnb that she needs to cancel and you will receive a complete refund.

You can call Airbnb via Skype or other cheap call services.

Let us know what happens.

Christo5
Level 2

Thanks, Helen, for you prompt reply. I will certainly take it up with Airbnb and let you know the outcome. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Totally agree with @Helen3@Christo5. Whoever, host or guest, has a reason to cancel is responsible for initiating the cancellation.  Do as Helen suggests and add to the message that you expect the host to cancel within 48 hours, so you can find another place to stay.  If the cancellation does not occur, then you will need to work with Air BNB to ensure that you get a full refund and help with an alternative reservation.  Good luck and keep us posted.  

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Christo5 YES your host is lying.................they have to cancel. Do exactly as Linda suggest and message the host that they have 48 hrs. to cancel so you can find new place and get your refund. You are owed a full refund and they should cancel soon so you can find better accomodations. Good luck and keep up informed. Clara

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

I think the host is trying to get you to cancel so they don't get penalized for cancelling if it's for anything other than one of AirBNB's limited acceptable reasons.

Christo5
Level 2

Thank you, Stepanie. I'll be following up the matter over the weekend. 

Christo5
Level 2

Hello, everyone. Just a follow up on the Sorrento issue. I got hold of Airbnb Ireland and explained to the agent what had happened. They then opened a case and promised to come back to me.  Next, I received a call from a gentleman in Canada who said he had contacted the host and that Airbnb would arrange for a refund. This morning I received an email confirmation that I would be refunded in full.

Thank you Helen, for your advice, and to Clara and Stepanie for your support. All's well that ends well.

Regards Christo 

Christo5
Level 2

Apologies, Linda, I accidentaly left you out. Thanks to you too. 

Christo