Hotel Vs. Home

Bradford0
Level 2
Washington, DC

Hotel Vs. Home

Not sure if other hosts have felt the same way or not. The past year I’ve been feeling worn down on guest’s behaviors whilst staying in my home. I have an entire separate apartment in my DC row home. (which is the Airbnb space) I can’t help but pick up on how guests seem to think this is more like a hotel stay as opposed to staying in my home. I’m brushed off as I give the walkthroughs although I try to keep them quick, messages are ignored, and people even walk by as if they don’t need to provide any acknowledgement although Ill be outside working in the yard. Guests have secretly brought pets that they know are not permitted, demand more paper towels, coffee beans, and neglect to leave any reviews.

I just now had a guest passive aggressively mention to the other guest there’s a hose running across the step down to the basement and they could all trip and fall if it’s dark at night.... she said this while I was outside decorating for Halloween. (The hose is a tiny irrigation hose that’s fastened right into the inner corner of the step) She then proceeded to whisper to her friend about me while knowing I was standing 15 feet away. Not to mention she felt it appropriate to negatively comment on the desirability of the neighborhood. It’s DC! You’re right in the heart of the city in a historic row home! 

Admittedly I feel like throwing in the towel at times and today is one of those days. Airbnb favors guests although house rules get broken and I become the enemy when I have to tell guests they can’t smoke indoors and they get caught red handed.. I know... woe is me. 

What do you guys do to get respect from guests that they’re staying in your HOME?

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Bradford0  Sorry to hear you're getting these types of guests. I know a lot of hosts experience similar. My listing is not an entire place, but a private room /bath in my home and I get consistently respectful and friendly guests, but I know even some home-share hosts get guests like this, which is even more distressing- that people think they can stay in a host's home and that it's somehow okay to be stand-offish and unfriendly, as if wishing the host would just go away, when they actually live there.

I had a look at your listing- it's really nice- I love the eclectic decor (but do redo the bathroom shots- toilet lid down, always. Many men seem to be oblivious to this)

About all you can do to try to mitigate your issue, IMO, is to edit your listing description a bit. You really play up that the guests have a private space which you don't enter that's completely separate from your space. Of course it's good to make this evident, but maybe not place so much emphasis on it, as it's already listed as an entire place, and work in somewhere that you do live on the property, are often puttering around the yard, enjoying the back deck, which the guests are also welcome to use or join you for a cup of coffee, etc. You could mention that you greet guests yourself and spend about 10 minutes giving them an orientation tour. You could even put a line in there about how even though you totally respect your guests' privacy, that as you live on the property yourself, you appreciate those guests who can be warm and friendly when you do happen to cross paths.

Sarah, 

First off, thank you for such a thoughtful message and for taking the time to look over my profile. What I didn’t mention was this was my first time losing Superhost status in almost 6 years and this had to do with the string of bad guests and those who don’t take the time to review. 

I can say that I think people are more inclined to break the rules when they think they’re getting an entire space they can slip into as opposed to staying in a room within the confines of your own home. I also believe having a separate space attracts those who want more privacy than those who are willing to share space. 

Your feedback you provided about my listing and the language I use is absolutely appreciated:-) I agree with you on the separate space being too emphasized and I’ll tone that one down for sure. I also will make it a point to share I work outdoors, garden, and am social with neighbors... I think it would be a good hint that I may be a more sociable individual while outdoors. 

I had to laugh at the mention of the toilet seat 🙂 Better yet, I still haven’t taken Airbnb up on their second set of professional photos they’ve offered. So it may be a good time to do so since the bathroom is repainted a nice grey and a few items have changed. 

Sarah, thank you again and wish you continued success with your Airbnb!! 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Bradford0 You're welcome and same to you- hope you get better-mannered guests in the future.

I had a boyfriend, who despite growing up with 3 sisters, always thought the reason women want guys to put the seat down is for aesthetic reasons (which it indeed is for photos)- that we just don't like the way it looks. No one had ever explaned to him that when a woman stumbles into the bathroom in the night or early morning with their eyes barely open, that if the seat is left up, when we go to sit down, we fall in the toilet 🙂