Host won’t give my deposit back

Christina945
Level 2
Shamrock, TX

Host won’t give my deposit back

I’m supposed to stay at my Airbnb for a month and when I checked in I have let my host know that my boyfriend would be visiting me. She said that it was okay for him to have short visits and have him over for dinners.  I needed to stay 2 more weeks and I let her know of my intent to extend. She agreed and told me to pay half of the deposit in cash which I did. So I have only been here for 2 weeks. Last night my boyfriend had picked me up as we were attending a military ball. He left his car at my place and we took an uber ride. After the ball, we went out with a bunch of friends at a bar. My boyfriend had way too much to drink so I took him back to my place. My host happened to be there and I asked her if he can at least spend the night so he can sober up and drive home. She said no and that he needed to leave so we left I drove him back to his place since there was no way he can drive. My host had text me right away and said that I violated her rules by bringing an undisclosed guest and that I needed to find a place to stay. So I said okay can you at least give me the deposit that I gave you for wanting to extend and she said she would give it to me. I came back to the place the next day and my host had now changed her mind and told me that she would not be returning the deposit that I gave her in cash. I’m very upset as I’m now out of cash and a place to stay. I just want the deposit back. That’s all I want. I called Airbnb and they can’t help me with it since it was a cash transaction. What can I do to get my money back? 

23 Replies 23
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Christina945 

Has the reservation (for the month) been cancelled ?

If not, then refuse to leave and bring dispute with the host (violating houserule) to Airbnb.

BTW Never pay money regarding an Airbnb reservation in cash. The host is violating Airbnb terms:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/458/can-a-security-deposit-be-collected-outside-of-the-airbnb-we...

Reservation hasn’t been cancelled but she wants me to leave now or she said she will change the locks. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Christina945 Airbnb won't help you with the deposit, since off-platform payments are against their terms of service. (Don't do that again.)  If you have an uncancelled reservation she can't refuse access to the space. I would focus on that, in your shoes. Tell her if she wants you to leave she will need to cancel the reservation and you will ask Airbnb for a 100% refund. You could also let her know that you are aware that she broke the rules by asking for a cash deposit. Meanwhile call Airbnb and tell them your host is threatening to lock you out and accusing you of breaking her rules, which you have not done. Hopefully she will decide it is less trouble to refund your deposit. I'm sorry this has happened to you.

She still haven’t cancelled the reservation but wanted me to leave today. She said she will reconsider refunding me my money if she gets the leave rented out on the days that I’m supposed to stay. This lady don’t care. 

@Christina945 she can't re-rent it, at least not on Airbnb, unless/until *you* cancel the reservation or she gets Airbnb to cancel it for her penalty-free. I hope you are talking to Airbnb. This host sounds completely unscrupulous. I wouldn't trust her to refund you anything unless Airbnb makes the decision that you are due a refund.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Christina945  While it was wrong of both you and the host to do this cash deal, you seem to have taken a lot of liberties and abused the hospitality of your host, so I'm not surprised she wants you out.

First of all , you say you let your host know when you checked in that your boyfriend would be visiting you. 

This isn't something you "tell" your host, nor is it something you spring on them at check-in. You need to ask permission to have someone visit you at an Airbnb , and you need to ask about this before you actually book a place, to know if it will be acceptable.

Then, to top it off, "My boyfriend had way too much to drink so I took him back to my place." The host had already told you that your boyfriend couldn't spend the night, only visit. Yet you not only bring him back there asking if he can spend the night, you bring a guy who's had way too much to drink back to your host's place. It isn't your place, it's a place where you staying. Your behavior appears to be quite disrespectful and you brought this scenario on yourself..

I wasn’t disrespectful at all ma’am. I have followed her rules and let her know before I checked in. I asked permission. I just didn’t tell her. I know it’s her home. We were close at the event so I took him home with me since he couldn’t drive. Am I supposed to just let him drive home and get into an accident? I kept the room clean. Yesterday was the first time that he came over after 2 weeks of being there. I asked permission first and she told me no and I respected her decision and left. She texted me right away that I needed to leave and that she knew I don’t spend overnight at her place all the time. I said yes because you told me that I can’t have people overnight so sometimes I spend the night at my boyfriend’s house. That’s disrespectful? To follow her rules? I’m barely at her place. I work all day and come home late. I’m just there to sleep and take a shower. She still yet has to cancel my reservation and just took my money. I didn’t bother nobody. I was quiet and minded my own business. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Christina945  I was simply going on what you said in your post- "when I checked in I have let my host know that my boyfriend would be visiting me."

No, of course you shouldn't have let your drunk boyfriend drive home. But you took a Uber to your Airbnb- you could have sent him home in a Uber just as easily as taking him back to where you were staying.

I understand that. And I should have but it was a 30 min Uber ride and his state wasn’t the best so I thought I was doing the right thing. I didn’t mean to disrespect anybody. 

Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Christina945  Did you get a receipt from the host when you gave her the deposit? Did you have any text exchange about your extension and mentioning the deposit?

Normally an extension in Airbnb could be done easily by Changing the reservation checkout date of the existing reservation. I don’t understand why you and the host were doing something outside of Airbnb. 

If the extended period was to be done privately between the host and you, Airbnb probably will not care if you get your deposit back. But as @Lisa723  mentioned, the host cannot refuse your current stay before the reservation is canceled. Otherwise, the host violates the Terms of Service agreement.

When I originally booked the place I paid $2200. Then she messaged me and said that the price is wrong and I still owed $570 upon check-in. That she would like it to be in cash. So I trusted this lady. Then I wanted to extend, she said she would block the dates for me and she would the deposit for those dates. I kept all the text messages between us. She originally said she would give my deposit back now she is saying she won’t give it back until after she inspects then place and have the locks changed. She still haven’t cancelled my reservation. She said that she has to call Airbnb so they can cancel it. 

@Christina945  asking for more money (for accommodation or security deposit) after the booking was made, and taking it in cash is against Airbnb TOS.

She should know that.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Christina945 

This host is violating Airbnb terms and must be reported to Airbnb. Also: if the reservation is not cancelled, you have the right to stay there. If it is refused, contact Airbnb and bring them the whole story. Allthough i think your "boyfriend stay" story is something you should not have be doing, there are too much other issues here to let the host walk away with your money.  Contact Airbnb and ask them to mediate asap.

I have contacted Airbnb. The host said that the reason why she wanted a cash deposit to avoid other service fees. She also wants to charge me $175-$200 for changing the locks. There was no reason to change the locks. I gave her the keys as soon as I left. I have no intent of breaking in or anything.  This has been stressful and felt like I’m being untreated unfairly. I understand that I shouldn’t have brought my bf there. That’s on me. I admit my mistake but she thinks she did nothing wrong by just taking my money and not give it back.