Host won’t give my deposit back

Christina945
Level 2
Shamrock, TX

Host won’t give my deposit back

I’m supposed to stay at my Airbnb for a month and when I checked in I have let my host know that my boyfriend would be visiting me. She said that it was okay for him to have short visits and have him over for dinners.  I needed to stay 2 more weeks and I let her know of my intent to extend. She agreed and told me to pay half of the deposit in cash which I did. So I have only been here for 2 weeks. Last night my boyfriend had picked me up as we were attending a military ball. He left his car at my place and we took an uber ride. After the ball, we went out with a bunch of friends at a bar. My boyfriend had way too much to drink so I took him back to my place. My host happened to be there and I asked her if he can at least spend the night so he can sober up and drive home. She said no and that he needed to leave so we left I drove him back to his place since there was no way he can drive. My host had text me right away and said that I violated her rules by bringing an undisclosed guest and that I needed to find a place to stay. So I said okay can you at least give me the deposit that I gave you for wanting to extend and she said she would give it to me. I came back to the place the next day and my host had now changed her mind and told me that she would not be returning the deposit that I gave her in cash. I’m very upset as I’m now out of cash and a place to stay. I just want the deposit back. That’s all I want. I called Airbnb and they can’t help me with it since it was a cash transaction. What can I do to get my money back? 

23 Replies 23
Christina945
Level 2
Shamrock, TX

This is the first problem I had with Airbnb. I have been using Airbnb for awhile and never had an issue until now. I feel like I got ripped off. I just want my money back and this lady is refusing to give it to me. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Christina945 

as others have said - until your reservation is not canceled (or over) you have a right to stay there. If your host wants you out she has to cancel the rest of your stay. You should be refunded for days you paid (via Airbnb) but not spent.

The next time you book a place and you know you will have your boyfriend visiting you can simply book for 2 people. The price is usually the same for 1 and for 2 guests. Many listings have "no visitors" house rules so if you book for 2 then you are both fine.

You said your host was there the first time in 2 weeks and saw your boyfriend with you. She probably thought he is there every night and that's why she was angry. Anyway, your host could be more professional and deal with the situation differently.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Christina945  I see that you have 3 positive reviews as a guest and would imagine you understood how to use this platform.  Unfortunately as you have learned, your cash transaction cannot be dealth with inside the Air BNB platform.  As others have posted you do have an option to cancel the rest of your reservation and to report the host's behavior to Air BNB.  You have not posted that you have conctacted Air BNB.  That is where I suggest you go.  Nothing will be instant but eventually you probably will get some refund.  As for the deposit, you would need to open a small claims court action to get that money back.

I have learned my lesson and I have already contacted Airbnb regarding the situation. All I can do now is wait. Thank you for all the advice. 

Christina945
Level 2
Shamrock, TX

Update: Airbnb is still working on my case but the host had contacted me and wanted me to sign a agreement to release the security deposit to her for the changing of the locks. Upon release she will give me my $700 back. In the paper, it also says that she will refund me my days paid if she gets the place re-rented since the money that I paid had already been included in her monthly expenses. I’m getting screwed over. She knows that she needs to refund me that’s why she’s wanting me to sign this paper. 

@Christina945   I don't get why she insists she has to change the locks?  You didn't lose the key or trash the place, your BF showed up and that caused her to lose trust in you.  Okay, so  if she wanted to cancel you for that, she can do it.  But, if there are no damages, then you should get the security back, whether or not it was w/in airbnb rules, and I don't see a need to change the locks.  Bizarre.  

I guess you have to figure out which way will get you more of your money back....doing the deal w/her or waiting for airbnb to refund you the money from the reservation but not the side deal security deposit.

She said she’s just following safety procedures. When she asked me leave, I just left and didn’t cause any trouble.  So I don’t understand why she feels threatened. I’m already loosing so much money from her. The reservation is still not cancelled. She’s saying Airbnb hasn’t gotten back to her which I think is a lie. So she’s trying to hold out. 

@Christina945 if the reservation isn't cancelled you retain the right to occupy the premises. Have you asked that your case be escalated to a supervisor?

@Christina945  Don't sign anything and don't communicate with her outside the app.  If she contacted you about signing the agreement directly, answer through the app, quoting her message to you, and saying you think it's against the terms of service.  When you communicate everything through the app, Airbnb customer support can see everything.  This host really needs to be reported.  You made one mistake and have owned it, but she has done several things against the terms and that's not acceptable.