Host left hateful review and harassing me by messages

Answered!
Swati11
Level 2
Hoffman Estates, IL

Host left hateful review and harassing me by messages

As a first time user of Airbnb, i was unaware of the expectations at time of check-out. I even didn't read reviews of the host before booking another one. Later on, one of the host in Springfield, IL shared a house with us. seperate one bedroom. I arrived with my husband and kid, she was very rude with my kid and asked him to be quiet. I accepted it as she mentioned her children having exams, she even provided medicine to me for pet hair allergy which i didn't get when i entered but when I slept or used couch caused me breathing issues. However, I adjusted with all that by assuming its not hotel and cant ask for everything. Her sink was clogged but i still didn't say much as It was only two night stay. She kept checking with me to make sure she gets 5 star rating, she stepped in before checkout time and didn't give time to wrap up. 

After 2days, she asked to pay cleaning fees, I was already upset with her behaviour so I refused to pay. She got angry and started abusing me, called me Groos, Liar, disgusting and Mean. I rasied the concern to Airbnb but they are only behind settling the claim opened by host. She kept sending me messages everyday, asked me to put my review down, Airbnb requested the same thing. I didn't do it, she sent me pic of my kid playing in backyard and said I broke house rules, it wasn't mentioned anywhere but they said its not in house so we were not allowed to use however she let other guests played there. 

I don't know what triggered her anger so much, but its like a nightmare for me. I am scared to book Airbnb now and prefer hotel. Our first host did mention about not cleaning but in decent way and I communicated with them well that it was our first stay so we didn't know the expectations. She made me understand the expectation however never used hateful or offensive language. 

I opened up Claim with Airbnb but I don't think so they are doing much on this. I searched google and felt everywhere host is the victim however I can't explain what I m feeling because of her attitude and behaviour towards me and my family.  

Anyone faced this type of issue and what to do in this scenario. 

1 Best Answer

@Gordon0 

In situations like these some people always play the racist card - it's always the same pattern.

After this, I don't believe a word she wrote.

View Best Answer in original post

31 Replies 31
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Swati11 

Community members can read your reviews both given and received here.

You have two reviews to your name, both indicate you left the properties in quite a mess.

The host you complain about has 124 five star reviews.

You acknowledge above the first host brought up cleaning issues with you.

It looks like you don't read the rules, don't read booking confirmation, don't react to host's prompts about conduct, can't respect a property - It seems to add up to yourself being the author of your own misfortune.  I don't buy you were harassed.

I didn't break any houserules, but is it right to call someone like I mentioned. I did read the rules provided by her but it wasn't mentioned in her rulebook. She is forcing me to give 5 star review after abusing me. I am not a person who like to break rules, we stayed for 5days with First host and only two nights with the third one (I claimed for that one).

I won't be arguing with anyone here but it seems like people will judge the host based on reviews however actually looking into the issues. 

Is it ok to stepped in before check out time?

Is it ok for a host to click pics when guest on property (privacy breach), i am not talking about torn furniture or stove or floor pics. Its guest pics. 

Is it ok to keep messaging your guest and saying that "I should be ashamed of being liar and mean". I never hear these in my life so far. 

I took the First host review and talked with, apologized to her as we didn't know we need give the place back as  it is we got. 

I am not denying about the place or amenities or anything else related to property, i didnt spoil her property, its way she dealt with us which indicated the discrimination. Claimed host reviews are not true completely. 

Its not only about providing the services and keeping the place clean for your guest, I believe host should also be focusing on how and what are their attitude towards guest. 

Julie143
Level 10
Princeton, NJ

After the first stay, why didn’t you realize that Airbnbs are not the same as hotels? The general expectation is that you tidy up after yourselves and treat the place with respect. It doesn’t sound like you learned learn lesson after the first stay.

It also sounds like you didn’t read the listing carefully. Your second host mentions the pets in several places. Yes, there are a lot of rules, but they are listed and you agree to them when you book.

Lack of wi-wi and a clogged drain are not good, but it’s not really related to your messiness. Are you saying if the wi-fi had been on and the drain had been clear, you would have cleaned up the food and candy instead of leaving it on the furniture?

Food scraps belong in a garbage can. I don’t even leave them when I’m staying in a very expensive hotel with a full time cleaning staff. It’s part of being a decent human.

For what it’s worth, I think the second host could sound a bit more professional in the review. She could have gotten her point across without calling you gross.  I guess she was angry, which doesn’t surprise me.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'm afraid, @Swati11, some guests just don't suit Airbnb for one reason or another, and I'd suggest you fall in to this group. Move on, stick with hotels. 

@Gordon0 that's my first choice and I would have ended up there but there was no hotel available with kitchen in Springfield, IL and that's why I booked Airbnb. I am trying to Move On but still not able to forget how she behaved with me. I been a victim of Rasicm in past but not like this. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

That's quite a (new) accusation, @Swati11. Your host seems to have welcomed a number of guests from the BAME community who were seemingly very happy with their stays/hospitality, so what was so different about you?

@Gordon0 I didn't review her listing after my stay immediately. Airbnb did call me on her behalf if I would like to put my reviews down. I reviewed after she gave review on my profile which i wasn't able to read without reviewing her listing. So, I didn't have any intention to spoil her reputation or listing. I even messaged her that If I knew I need to clean the floor and stove I would have done that but she said I m mean and liar. 

I felt the discrimination bcz i didnt review her listing.

@Swati11  Both hosts and guests have 14 days to leave a review and neither party can see each other's reviews until they are both public. 

It's highly unlikely that this host "discriminated" against you because you didn't leave a review immediately. That's a really strange idea. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

So for the avoidance of any doubt, @Swati11, you felt you were racially discriminated against >>I been a victim of Rasicm in past but not like this<<, or otherwise? 

@Gordon0 I meant she wouldn't have call someone with names, I being an asian she didn't think twice. I hope i could show the messages.  

@Swati11  Considering the very negative review you left, I doubt the host would have been upset if you hadn't left any review, LOL.  But, the reviews work so that neither guest nor host can see each other's reviews until after 2 weeks, then they both show, or if only one left a review, then that one will be public.  I'm sorry things turned out so badly with this particular host, which seems strange, since the listing has dozens and dozens of great reviews.  

@Mark116 Yes Mark, i agree listing have dozens of good reviews, I left negative review because I received a notification that she gave reviews, that also happened when i asked her to stop messaging me else I will talk to Airbnb people. She immediately left a review on my profile, i replied and that again she replied. No option for more replies now.

I don't expect from a host to ask my son to be quiet however the quiet hours were from 9pm onwards and we slept by that time. I am not a negative personality and I did mention the positive things, I think I should have mention how she behaved my kid or about her attitude and behaviour instead of focusing on listing issues. 

@Swati11  I can't comment about your son, it would depend on how loud he was whether that would be appropriate or not, but certainly if people are very loud, the host as the right to ask them to be quiet.

Both reviews are public now, so there is no going back to change them.  Both reviews were very negative and it's pretty clear that there were negative personal feelings and emotions going both ways, which is unfortunate. 

I don't know if you will or won't use airbnb again, but if you do, your future hosts may ask you about these two negative reviews,  you would be well advised to find out from the hosts what their expectations are, specifically, in terms of how to leave the place, so that there are no more issues, since the expectations on what guests clean or tidy up varies widely among hosts.  Some hosts don't ask guests to do anything, including wash their dishes, others expect a 'leave it as you found it' level of cleaning.  I would also advise you in future to read the full listing before renting another place.  

@Mark116 My son was crying when we came in and she asked to be quiet as soon as we told her we checked in and mentioned her children have exams and I was pretty supportive bcz of it. 

Thanks for your suggestion and I would definitely ask the host next time how they would like the place to leave. I did wash the dishes and cleaned watever was mentioned in her rulebook.

It was really a bad experience and i think i would never be able to forget it.