Host claims there is asbestos next door and that she would like me to cancel. She keeps refusing to.

Host claims there is asbestos next door and that she would like me to cancel. She keeps refusing to.

Conversation went like this - suddenly get a message from host saying builders and doing a demolition next door, please cancel and will refund you in full.

I said we can deal with the noise, the baby wakes us very early so likely we'll be out of there before they start work for the morning.

Within the hour she replies and said she's been informed there's asbestos and will also give me money out of her own pocket if I cancel?!

I don't know how to reply to that, but I feel if it's a health hazard, shouldn't the host put a claim through as Extenuating Circumstance?

On the other hand I don't want to turn up to the place with my baby and it IS true (I'm still doubting as she neglected to say that until I refused to cancel, also I did book during a peak holiday weekend).

8 Replies 8
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Bianca361 Yes, she should cancel under the extenuating circumstances policy. 

BTW, there likely isn't anything dangerous about the asbestos removal (assuming it's really the truth)- there are regulations about removing asbestos and generally only qualified people are allowed to do it. They usually wet it down, so the fibers aren't flying around. There's nothing inherently dangerous about abestos if it's not disturbed. It's the dry fibers being breathed in that's the danger. 

If there really is demolition going on next door, I can see why she wouldn't want to take a reservation- you may be okay with staying, going out during the day, but she may be worried about getting a bad review because of it. 

But If a host wants to cancel, the host should cancel, if a guest wants to cancel, the guest does it.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Bianca361 as @Sarah977 says, if you don't wish to cancel the booking, then don't. If the host cancels she'll be subject to various penalties, including not being able to rebook the dates (even if extenuating circumstances). In your shoes I would call Airbnb.

Terri38
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

The cynic in me wonders if the host realised she could get a better holiday season price elsewhere?

@Terri38  The thought occurred to me, as well. And if she cancels herself, the dates will be blocked. But I also think there are hosts who have no idea that they can cancel under the extenuating circumstances policy if they truly have a situation beyond their control where they can't host. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I doubt I would want to stay next to an asbestos removal occasion. Have seen them work and not all are good w safety.

Debi37
Level 2
St Augustine, FL

Sounds like a fake listing, I am hearing so much about.....

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Bianca361   If I had to guess, I will guess the host wants to rerent the property at a higher rate and is trying to use asbestos as an excuse....I don't know what country the rental is, but it most countries asbestos removal is highly regulated and there will not be any risk of contamination.  And if this is some developing country that has  no rules on asbestos, then the host can cancel under extenuating circumstances due to construction out of her control.  

Thanks everyone, in the end after 2-3 days of being bombarded with messages from the seller to cancel, I spoke to AirBnb and they cancelled on both ends, citing we weren't comfortable with each other.

I later found out as part of resolution I could request that the seller pay the difference for another place I picked, but I was over all this. Happy to just book another holiday for another time. 

Appreciate all the help!