Host cancellation less than 24 hours before trip to NY

Emma1862
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Host cancellation less than 24 hours before trip to NY

Hi all, 

in January 2019 I booked and received confirmation for an apartment in New York which came with a note that 3 days ahead of the trip the check-in details would be made available.  I messaged the host numerous times, and eventually contacted AirBnb direct who contacted the host on my behalf.  The host messages me shortly after cancelling my reservation - leaving me to find accommodation on Manhattan for 5 people with less than 24hrs notice.  The alternatives offered by AirBnb were not fit for purpose (many miles away, a party loft?!, a boat, or far far too expensive) so I had to book a hotel which ended up costing over £1000 more than the original booking.  The original booking cost has been refunded, but I’d like the £1077 extra-over cost back too.  This cost is not covered by travel insurance.  Any advice? 

Best, 

Emma 

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry you had such an awful host @Emma1862  but under its terms that you booked under airbnb only needs to refund you, give you 10% extra and help with finding alternatives. All of which they have done.

How long before your trip did the host stop communicating with you and at what point did Airbnb contact them? What were their recent reviews like?

Unless they agreed to pick up an additional £1000 tab for a hotel  before you booked (did you? ) -  much as might want them to, they have no liability to do so.

They might give you a bit extra as a credit. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Emma1862   That's terrible, did the host indicate why they were cancelling?  Are you on your trip now?  @Helen3 is correct though, airbnb will never, never pay for the $$ difference in going to a hotel, I think the most they ever offer is a 10 or 20% over the price of the airbnb or some discount for your next stay.