Host Association

Host Association

Hi. I have two properties which I host through Airbnb, (a house and a condo), and I have never cancelled a single reservation at either.  However, prior to when I started hosting a condo on  Airbnb, I asked the condo associatation for their bylaws so that I could confirm that there were no issues with short term rentals. They gave me the "Association Rules", which I reviewed and which did not address minimum rental terms whatsoever. I then listed the property on Airbnb, and bgan booking rentals. Much later and without any icidents, I received a letter from the Condo Association's lawyer indicating that as per the condo association Bylaws (something I had not been provided with when I asked), the minimum rental period is 31 days. I immideiately responded to the lawyer; explained the situation; and took down the listing until I could verify the 31 day rule myself. I also informed the lawyer that my listing had been taken down. 

However, not wanting to inconvenience my already-booked guests by cancelling their reservations, I continued to host them. Today I received another letter from the attorney entitled "Final Notice" which indicated that the association believes that I am still engaging in short-term rentals. 

As I only have three more bookings in the condo, one as soon as next week,  and one as far out as June, Is it preferable to cancel them, and if, so will I be penalized via all my listings. Due to this issue, I am sellling the condo and buying a house in the same area so tht I may continue to host. Specifically, will my other listing and future listings be affected by such cancellations? 

Thanks.

0 Replies 0