Home owners association

Kristi58
Level 1
Danville, CA

Home owners association

HELP!!  I guess one of my neighbors reported me to he HOA for having the Airbnb.  I got a letter from the association stating the CC&R’s which states cannot rent for less than 30days.  I am booked solid to August.   My guest have all been wonderful.   Either people that have lived here previously or grew up here visiting family or business people.  This is helping me survive financially.    What can I do?  

4 Replies 4
Laura1690
Level 9
Alexandria, VA

You should look up your local HOA rules and regulations.  Unfortunately you have to abide by them or face the consequences with them whatever they may be.  Are you renting out your whole house or just a room or rooms?  You should probably also check your local zoning ordinances and restrictions.  Arm yourself with knowledge.  Many instances of being reported are racially motivated.  While unfortunate, it has certainly been true here in my area.  

I hope this helps!  I totally understand about the financial part being a huge deal, its the same for me.  I am prohibited from renting rignt now as our county is in the process of creating a crap ton of regulations and we are fighting it.  I am hoping to be able to rent again in October once they pass something.  

Good luck and let me know what happens!

Barbara1653
Level 1
Sanford, NC

Do you think that my HOA bylaws means I can't do Air B & B? It's pretty vague. 

"No premises shall be used for any commercial purposes whatsoever except that residences may be rented or leased for residential purposes."

According to an attorney I spoke with the commercial card does not fly.  Renting out property through Airbnb is not a commercial purpose unless you are providing meals and such like a Bed & Breakfast would do.  It is a residential purpose as you are providing a place to sleep and relax.

Lydia402
Level 2
Joplin, MO

I have just been contacted by our HOA for the same reason, after 2.5 years of hosting.  It will be interesting to see how it goes, as the rules and bylaws do not restrict renting, just commercial activity.