Help with a booking

Ana440
Level 2
Radium Hot Springs, Canada

Help with a booking

Hello,

I am looking for advice with our situation.

We had made reservations with our host 2 months back and just 2 week ago we found out that we won't be able to make the travel for next month.

We tried to change the dates of reservation to later in late october.

The host denying the change because he might not hosting airbnb then.

I have contacted the host and give him plenty of time so he is able to free up the original dates (late march) so he won't loose any money.

He is forcing us to cancel our reservation, and I really don't think it is fair to loose 50% of our money for reservation that he can't accomodate.

Please advice

*Title Updated

3 Replies 3

That's why Travel insurance is strongly advised. I am sorry but the host has held up those days for you for for quiet a long time, it is not fair for the host to absorb the opporunity lost simply because you have changed the plans. The cancellation policy should be adhered by both parties. You have two options:

1. Cancel it yourself (Host will not do that for you since he/she doesn't change mind of hosting you) and get 50% back

2. Try to make it to the original dates. 

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

You entered into a contract with the host when you booked the reservation.  Part of that contract included the host's cancellation policy.  Just because you want to change now and feel it is unfair, you agreed to this policy when you booked the reservation.  The host is within their right to stick to their policy.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Ana440

Cancelling the booking from your end is the only way to free up the dates.  If the host cancel he will be penalised by airbnb for doing so.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/i-m-a-host--what-penalties-apply-if-i-need-to-cancel-a-reser...