Guest without ID who will arrive day before person with verified ID who made the booking

Answered!
Ermine1
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Guest without ID who will arrive day before person with verified ID who made the booking

My first instant booking is from woman booking for herself  & an additional guest tomorrow for 2 nights.

The additional guest/friend will arrive a day before person doing booking. So I have no idea who the friend is and no verified ID for her. The person booking only has one review from a year ago. 

I am uncomfortable as the additional guest will be here one night without the person  who booked who will arrive for night 2 only.

If the additional guest does not have an airbnb profile with confoirmed govt ID, can I cancel without penalty? I can't find something on unaccompanied additional guests in the terms of service. 

Help appreciated! 

1 Best Answer

It is quite likely that this is a legit situation with two women traveling together but not entirely being together the whole time.   It makes sense that one may arrive and stay one night and then their friend or colleague meet up with them before going on with their trip.  Just ask why they are doing it this way and get a feel for the situation.

If the booking guest is communicative and polite I would hope this is going to work out.  Especially since both guests are women.  Ask for the name and city/origin of the arriving guest and their phone number.  Call the arriving guest and confirm her name.  Chat with her about her planned arrival.  Get a feel for her personality and demeanor.  Be reassured.

If the booking guest feels uncomfortable about providing the arriving guest's information to you  (after all you too are a stranger to them) tell the booking guest that she must have the arriving guest call you immediately so that the guest herself can give you the necessary information. 

If neither peson will reveal the arriving guest's name, or if the arriving guest will not talk to you by phone or email before their arrival then call Airbnb and insist on a cancellation because the guests are not willing to let you know who will be arriving or allow you to communicate with that person about their access to your home.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3

@Ermine1 Ermine you have no relationship with the 2nd guest who arrives early, so write to the main guest and tell her you need the full name of her guest. Further explain that your insurance will not honor any claims, if you allow anyone not on the booking into your home unaccompanied by the person booking. Ask how she would like to resolve that issue with you. If she does not try to problem solve this and just gets defensive, explain you will understand if she cancels the booking. If she doesn't cancel, I believe you have a legitimate reason for declining. Airbnb is always saying that instant bookings can be cancelled by the host if they feel uncomfortable about the guest situation.

I believe that if this is just a weird one off situation, the main guest will try to do something positive to accommodate your needs. Perhaps she can tell her friend that you will need a government photo ID upon arrival that you can then photograph or copy. Knowing who is in your home is imperative for your safety and peace of mind.

It is quite likely that this is a legit situation with two women traveling together but not entirely being together the whole time.   It makes sense that one may arrive and stay one night and then their friend or colleague meet up with them before going on with their trip.  Just ask why they are doing it this way and get a feel for the situation.

If the booking guest is communicative and polite I would hope this is going to work out.  Especially since both guests are women.  Ask for the name and city/origin of the arriving guest and their phone number.  Call the arriving guest and confirm her name.  Chat with her about her planned arrival.  Get a feel for her personality and demeanor.  Be reassured.

If the booking guest feels uncomfortable about providing the arriving guest's information to you  (after all you too are a stranger to them) tell the booking guest that she must have the arriving guest call you immediately so that the guest herself can give you the necessary information. 

If neither peson will reveal the arriving guest's name, or if the arriving guest will not talk to you by phone or email before their arrival then call Airbnb and insist on a cancellation because the guests are not willing to let you know who will be arriving or allow you to communicate with that person about their access to your home.

Ermine1
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Belated thanks - all was ok.