Guest who is possibly coming with more guests than reserved

Stephanie1215
Level 2
New York, NY

Guest who is possibly coming with more guests than reserved

Hello Everyone

On November 1st, I have a guest that booked for just herself to celebrate her birthday from November 15-17th. I asked her the day she booked if she was coming by herself. 5 days later she replied, "With like 1 or 2 people." I asked her to update her listing to the correct amount of guests. I asked her again on the 9th since she has still not responded. I've contacted airbnb for advice and they also have not yet responded. I'm calling them in a few minutes. Does anyone have advice as to what I should do before she arrives on the 15th, possibly with 1 or 2 additional people?  I'm being proactive and trying to avoid conflict before it happens. I just feel something sneaky in my bones....

Thanks for listening. 

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Stephanie1215  You could send the guest a message- "Hi XX, it is imperative that you amend the booking to include the exact number of guests who will be arriving with you, as unregistered guests will be denied entrance. Please do this ASAP."

As she hasn't responded to your other messages, she likely won't respond to this one, but at least there will be a record of you having conveyed this information.

I also smell a rat.

Make sure when you talk to CS that you tell them you have a feeling the guest is misrepresenting her intentions and intends to throw a party, as this is front and center right now after the Orinda shootings. And that she hasn't responded to any of your messages. Ask them to cancel the reservation penalty-free if the guest doesn't respond appropriately.

@Sarah977  This is really good advice. I am going to everything you just said. I also smell a rat. Hardly anybody I've ever known comes to NYC to celebrate their birthday by themselves. And she also gave herself away. This will not happen in my home. Thank you so much for your response. The advice on these boards is so much better. 

@Sarah977  One more thing I just thought of, I haven't provided her with the check-in details as of yet because I don't trust her. I can use that to my advantage. She would have to A. contact me in order to get the details and I would B.make sure to set up a time to greet her upon her arrival along with my husband in tow.  That's if I can even get to the point of greeting her. 

Thanks again for the amazing advice.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Stephanie1215 I think you should ask Airbnb to cancel this one. This guest is not being honest with you. You house rules clearly state "No guests other than those listed on the reservation are allowed onto the premises. Extra guests/visitors have to be approved by us first so please ask beforehand." 

Address the issues now before arrival day comes and you are asking this guest and her companions to leave all while she is still able to review you!

@Emilia42 I agree. I am going to message her one more time and if I don't hear from her by tomorrow, I'm canceling. I've dealt with people showing up unannounced enough to get the level of sneakiness some guests will go to avoid paying for extra guests. 

Thank you for your advice Emilia.