Guest wants “100% guarantee“ of no dust or dirt.

Joyce373
Level 2
Collegeville, PA

Guest wants “100% guarantee“ of no dust or dirt.

After I accepted a booking request, the guest emailed me and said that one of his friends had an allergy to dust. He asked that I make 100% sure that there is no dust or dirt in the house when they arrive. This seems like an unreasonable if not impossible request!  Our home is clean to a high professional standard. I am uncomfortable with a guest who is asking for a guarantee that they won’t find one speck of dust. I replied that I couldn’t give him that guarantee and that he was free to cancel, but he just replied that he is just asking that there is 100% no dust or dirt. 

18 Replies 18
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Joyce373 

This is a scenario that should have been discussed prior to booking.

Someone's allergy now becomes your big headache.

Perhaps turn the tables, ask if the guest can arrive with his own air purifiers.

Otherwise, I'd be tempted to call up to cancel by playing the uncomfortable with this guest card.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Joyce373 I haven’t ever canceled a reservation but I would call Airbnb to ask for a penalty-free cancellation of this one.

If you've never cancelled before, then you can cancel this one and it won't affect your superhost status and you also won't get penalized. I just had to cancel on a guest for the time time, two days before arrival. I've been hosting a year and if you have only one cancellation during that entire year - then you won't be penalized. The only thing, is that an automated response saying you cancelled on the guest will show (and i don't think any guests cares about this when booking).

Piotr48
Level 10
Wrocław, Poland

Make Airbnb cancel it. He is going to claim there was dust and ask for refund later.

@Joyce373    100% no dirt or dust  is impossible unless it's a hermetically sealed sterile space.

I agree with @Lisa723   ask  [insist] Airbnb cancels it penalty free. The guests didn't mention the allergies before they booked.  It bodes ill for complaints and claims for refunds, even worse if they have an allergy attack.   btw: Looks like you are a new host -  scammers have been known to take advantage of new hosts.

@Joyce373 Major red flag!! This is an obvious scam for a guest who is going to attempt to get a free stay. Under no circumstances should you allow them onto your property.

Their request is absurd on its face.... Even if you were miraculously a le to make it 100% dust free upon arrival due to Magic and Jesus, you can't prevent dust from appearing during their stay.  I don't believe their concern is genuine, but even if it were, they should cancel their booking and reserve a hotel with daily housekeeping service. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Joyce373 

I wonder how they survived all those years ... do they wear a gas mask on the street or what?

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Joyce373, just ask the CS to cancel because you feel not comfortable with such guests. And if the guest say something about cancellation, recommend him to stay in his sterile home:) 

That is always red flag when they ask to guarantee something. In my case a woman asked to guarantee that the bed is comfortable:) I told her, that the only thing I can be sure that it is comfortable for me:) 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Joyce373 I would 100% ask Airbnb to cancel that reservation. If this guest with dust allergies sneezes or gets a little sniffily, they are going to blame it on the lack of cleanliness. Don't entertain it.

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Joyce373 I agree with what everyone else has already said.  You are a very new host with only one review so far and it seems to me that you have been targeted by a scammer who is after a  free stay.  You are allowed to ask Airbnb to cancel this reservation, without penalty to yourself, so please go ahead and do that asap.  

Joyce373
Level 2
Collegeville, PA

Thank you everyone for confirming my suspicions about this guest. I will be contacting Airbnb today and asking them to cancel the reservation. 

What happened, @Joyce373 ? All good?

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Joyce373 oh my word, this dude should not be on ABB at all! Cancel! Completely unreasonable!

Please let us know if ABB helps with this or no

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Joyce373 

I agree with others.  I would NOT like to host this guest.

I would message the guest (to have it documented in case Airbnb does not cancel the reservation) that  "your rooms are clean but not suitable for guests that has allergic disease".