Guest use of my kitchen

Cathy369
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Guest use of my kitchen

Hi, hosts.

I have so far allowed unrestricted use of my kitchen to guests, but hardly any have taken up the offer. Most never even go in the kitchen. Last week and this week I have had a guest who cooks himself a substantial meal every evening. What makes matters worse is that he doesn't start cooking until about 8pm, so the clattering in the kitchen disturbs my evening. This evening he has been in the kitchen for about an hour. Last night he came home at half past midnight and started making himself a snack. When he arrived I allocated him one shelf in the fridge but he bought so much food that he helped himself to two shelves. He is very clean and tidy, and even offered me a meal this evening, which I refused. I feel as if I have a housemate rather than a guest and it makes me feel uncomfortable in my own home.

I have decided to retain Kitchen as an amenity in my listing, but to include the following in my house manual:

Kitchen

Guests may use the kitchen for the preparation of drinks and light meals, but not after midnight. There is a toaster and microwave for guests' use. Use of the oven and hob are not permitted. Guests will be allocated one shelf in the fridge and a compact cupboard space for food. Guests are kindly requested to clear up after themselves and leave the kitchen as they found it.

I would welcome your opinion about my new strategy. Thanks in advance.

0 Replies 0