Guest fishing

Robert1555
Level 2
Baywood-Los Osos, CA

Guest fishing

Guests who fish for information prior to making an actual booking. They show that they have been a member for 4 years yet have no reviews or verifications, is this a fishing technique?

3 Replies 3
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Robert1555 

It can be fishing for a discount, especially if the questions are answered in your listing description.  

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Are they asking for specifics about door code, phone number or address, @Robert1555 ? Absolutely do not give out that sort of thing. The system makes it difficult, so that helps, but if they are asking you to circumvent it somehow, just tell them it is important that you keep all communication on the platform, and that they will receive the exact address once they book. 

If the questions are innocent and just "Do you have cats?" or "Are we allowed to cook?" type things, it may be that they signed up four years ago but have been reluctant to take the plunge. It is okay to ask them some questions yourself. 

Brad172
Level 3
Houston, TX

I agree with Lawrene.  Last week someone asked for property address and if our unit would hold more guest then listed.  Also stated they were a host with listings in my area.  Im guessing they wanted to really see our property and had no intrest in really booking.

We have only been hosting since August and have been very pleased with the process and guest.  I'm learning that a lot of people dont really read the entire listing and it is easer to ask questions then read or look it up them self.  If they are asking for non booking information don't give it to them and they go away.