Guest cancellation

Sharon688
Level 2
Mi-Wuk Village, CA

Guest cancellation

Two guests, one from France and one from New Jersey and who are unfamiliar with our local area, requested to book because they wanted to go to Yosemite National Park.  On a map, my town appears to be very close but it takes 2 hours to drive there because of winding mountain roads.  I have been up front with these potential guests who have gone on to reserve an airbnb in the town of Groveland which is much closer to Yosemite.  Now I have two cancellations on my record.  Is that going to hurt my chances of becoming a superhost?  

2 Replies 2
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Sharon688 

As the guests cancelled the reservations themself, it will not affect your ratings for becoming superhost. Never cancel a reservation on behalf of a guest, as you will be penalized by Airbnb, including superhost status affected! It also will generate a cancellation message in your profile.

Best regards,

Emiel

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sharon688  You said they were "Requests to Book". If you just messaged back this information, without Accepting or Declining, and they didn't book, there would not have been any cancellations involved. Did you Accept and then they cancelled? Did you get a messsage asking you to accept the guest's cancellation? If so, never accept it if you get that message- it's a really sneaky thing Airbnb does and goes down as a host cancellation.  If a guest wants to cancel, they can do it all by themselves, without your approval.