Full payment taken even though I opted for partial payment

Mark2986
Level 1
Brighton, United Kingdom

Full payment taken even though I opted for partial payment

I booked a place on Airbnb for next July, and opted for partial payment (50% up front, with 50% to be paid later). However, I noticed today that the full payment had been taken. I called Airbnb (or at least the contact number they give out), and was told a partial payment wasn't possible and they couldn't refund half the payment. I feel totally mislead, as there was nothing to tell me this would be the case when I was booking, and I am now significantly overdrawn 9 days before Christmas. Has this happened to anyone else and is there anything I can do about this? If possible, I don't want to cancel the booking altogether.

3 Replies 3
Joao24
Level 2
São Paulo, BR

Are you sure you selected the right choice? Because following the article below its possible pay less upfront (Im not sure about 50-50%) 

But anyway if you dont want do be overdrawn right with xmas over the corner mayber cancelation is the best option and probably without any penaulty and you make new reservation soon as possible.

The Pay Less Upfront Feature allows Guests to pay a portion of a booking’s Total Fees at the time of booking and pay the remainder of the Total Fees at a later time prior to check-in. The Pay Less Upfront Feature is available to Guests for eligible bookings when they pay with certain Payment Methods. If your booking is eligible for the Pay Less Upfront Feature, the Airbnb Site, Application or Services (collectively, the “Airbnb Platform”) will notify you during checkout.

If you choose to book with the Pay Less Upfront Feature, the Airbnb Platform will notify you of the amount and schedule of each payment due. On the second payment due date, Airbnb Payments will automatically charge the original Payment Method you used to make the booking. Gift Cards and credits cannot be used for the second payment. Therefore, to the extent a gift card or credit is used for the initial booking using Pay Less Upfront, Airbnb will only charge the gift card or credit up to the first scheduled amount due.

If you make a modification to a booking made with the Feature, you will be notified of the revised payment schedule, as applicable, via the Airbnb Platform. If the modification increases your Total Fees, you may be required to make an additional partial payment of the new Total Fees at the time of the modification.

You authorize Airbnb Payments to collect all amounts due from you pursuant to these Pay Less Upfront Terms by charging the Payment Method used to make the booking or otherwise as permitted pursuant to the Payments Terms. You agree that by selecting the Pay Less Upfront Feature, you may not be able to pay for the booking with a different Payment Method or pursuant to a different payment schedule.

Pierre1683
Level 1
Noisy-le-Grand, FR

This is the worst company I've had to deal with. Their practices are so dubious and the personnel utterly incompetent!
They hold your money and then you have to chase them, just to be told you owe an alleged debt that was never raised as a concern on their part.
Very poor work ethic. I strongly discourage dealing with these crooks!

The same thing just happen to me. I was told that if I select the partial payments I would only get charged around half and then the other half would change me the start of the Airbnb use.

I wouldn't make such a big deal about this, but I when I plan to only spend 200 this month and see a 400 dollar charge it is a little shocking.

Did anyone ever figure out a solution to this?