Feeling Vulnerable After Privacy Violation

Feeling Vulnerable After Privacy Violation

Help! I just feel ‘out there’. Airbnb has ‘escalated ‘ the issue but I feel like I need therapy. This is my home my safe place. I made the choice to host, but not be violated. Please is someone out there can ‘feel’ me? I feel like a hysterical female. 

5 Replies 5

I’m like was it my fault? Should I change my profile picture? Ugh, he/the guest stayed in my son’s room. (My son was not here)Am I over reacting? I’m like ‘why me’?

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

Hi @Anonymous 

Am really sorry to hear you have had an awkward experience.

Couple of things ...

You can stipulate female guests only for all future bookings.

and/or take a profile photo of yourself with a body builder male friend. Should help to deter any problematic male guests.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry it's not clear from your post what has actually happened here @Anonymous . What did this guest do?

If you are feeling unsafe in your home because of his inappropriate behaviour this is his fault not yours. It is never the victim's fault.  Leave your property and ask Airbnb to cancel his booking now and tell the guest he needs to leave.

Then go back with a couple of large male friends to ensure he has gone. If you gave him a key I would get the locks changed and ask Airbnb to charge the guest.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Anonymous 

You said "I  was violated... was it my fault?..."

This is typical female thinking when something bad happens.

Men never ever ask themselves this question. Women should learn from them.

@Anonymous   I agree with @Helen3   -  if you have any reason to doubt your safety, the most important thing to do is get yourself to a safe place right away. Don't hesitate to involve the police if you are in danger of physical harm or are being aggressively harassed. Without knowing the specifics of the situation, I don't know to what processes with Airbnb would be relevant, but your well-being must take priority over hosting.

If you feel inclined to discuss the situation in more detail, I recommend using the locked message board "Host Circle," as it is restricted to Airbnb hosts and not externally visible on search engines.