Email contact

Zoe248
Level 1
Venice, Italy

Email contact

Hi! I wanted to ask a question and if anyone knows the answer it would be really helpful. I’m trying to book a house and I have tried to contact the host trought Airbnb chat but she wasn’t responding, then I read that she asked, on her profile, to be contacted via mail since there was a problem with the booking. Still I asked if the payement was going to be done trought Airbnb and she said yes. Is this situation safe for you? 

4 Replies 4
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Zoe248 

This doesn't sound too good.

Usually when a host has a 'problem' like this, it's likely to be a ruse to try to elicit a payment off-site for a non existing property. So, big caution  - never ever send a direct payment.

Perhaps to post a link to the listing so some experienced forum people can have a better look.

Frankly, I'd drop this contact and look elsewhere.

Perhaps it's a great place at a pretty good price? Honeytrapping.

Thank you very much! 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Zoe248  This sounds like a total scam. Airbnb hosts cannot exchange email addresses with a guest until a booking is confirmed and even then, the host wouldn't get your actual email address, nor you theirs, unless you chose to exchange them- email addresses are coded on the Airbnb site. 

I do suggest you post the URL of this listing, as Elena said, so others can let you know if this is a scammer just trying to bilk you out of your money.

I’ll do that, thank you for your advice!