Does anyone use a Keurig?

Hollie6
Level 10
Page, AZ

Does anyone use a Keurig?

I'm wondering if anyone has found the pods wholesale or know a good place to buy them.

any input on Pro's and Con's of using one is appreciated. 

How many pods do you leave?

Thank you

Hollie

5 Replies 5
Yvonne191
Level 10
New Brunswick, Canada

Hi Hollie

I have both a Keurig and regular drip coffee maker. I find most prefer the Keurig. 

The Pods are expensive compared to grownd coffee.  Three per person per morning if its a one night booking and more for longer stays. I usually buy on Amazon or at Cosco. In the USA that would be comparable to Sam's I guess. 

Happy hosting,

Yvonne

Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

@Hollie6  we gave up our Keurig because

1. It’s an energy hog, 1500 Watts to run it

2. The plastic pods are extremely wasteful in a planet overrun with plastic waste.  There are compostable pods available, and they are excellent coffee. It was what we provided, but we found that guests would go buy their own as well and get the plastic so trying to circumvent the plastic waste with the compostable pods wasn’t all that successful. 

We have since switched to a small 2 cup drip brewer, 650 Watts to run. We supply coffee pods that are a filter paper pod that can be composted.  You can get them on Amazon, or get a style that you can fill yourself. Either way it dropped our coffee cost by about 2/3. The guests have had no complaints. 

We leave at least 2 pods per adult booked.  It’s enough to get them started. If they’re going to be there more than a couple days they can usually go get their own and do. 

Thank you Ava!

I do have a problem with the waste and was hoping to use the compostable pods but you have a great point about the guest buying there own pods. I even supply a brita water filter in the fridge instead of plastic water bottles. We live in the desert and I like to have a nice cold water for them when they arrive.

With the market getting more and more competitive I like to stand out and provide my guests with great amenities.

Hollie

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I'm anti keurig even with the compostable pods for the reasons stated above.  We have a regular drip coffee maker and a french press.

Throwing this out there.... for even MORE evironmentally sound option and economical option, get a French Press and ground coffee.  Instructions to make coffee this way are simple and there are multiple ways of heating water.  Then give them the option of (assuming you have a garbage disposal) of dumping the used grounds in the sink, in a kitchen compost crock (we do this), or even outside in the landscaping.  Coffee is a natural product, doesn't smell, and acts like a natural mulch and bug repellant - plus acid-loving plants just love it.  No paper or plastic waste at all - and the coffee tastes better imo.