Dispute with host

Melanie693
Level 1
Euroa, Australia

Dispute with host

I recently booked a property in Edinburgh but had several problems.  I lodged a request from the host for a refund through the official Airbnb and the host refused to refund any moneys he said I can push this further but I don't know how and he is now ignoring my emails about how to do this.

Issues were:

Confusing address - after a phone call we finally got in.

Once in, however, discovered that the beds had not been changed from that morning's guests. This was solved by making another phone call.

One of the bedrooms was in the basement and as my sister was taking her bag down the two-tier stairs the bottom level handrail came away from the wall and she only just managed to save herself from falling down the stairs. 

We phoned again complaining that this was totally unsafe and were told that someone would come around that night to reattach the handrail. We had no faith in this suggested repair, however, because it was obvious that the handrail had not been secured properly. In addition, there were patches on the wall along the top level handrail indicating that it had been moved and refitted.

We felt the house was unfit for purpose being unsafe and left.

How do I progress this claim now that the host has refused us any money?

Thanks,

Melanie

8 Replies 8
Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Melanie693  Did you cancel your booking? Have you filed a claim in the Resolution Center? You can request for the refund which you think is appropriate for your canceled stay. After 72 hours without getting responses from the Host, you can go back to Resolution center and press the Involve Airbnb button.

You will need to provide photos or text messages with the host about the issues and how the host responded.

We were already in the property and I told the host/property manager that we were not staying because it was unsafe. I did not cancel on the Airbnb site.

With the host having rejected my claim, I cannot find anywhere how to progress the claim direct with Airbnb management. If I go to the disputes area it says the dispute is already open and won't let me progress any further.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Melanie693 

You had to contact Airbnb during your stay and ask for cancellation / refund.

Or you could have cancelled the reservation and be refunded according cancellation policy (which was ??)

You can still contact Airbnb and complain:

Contact Airbnb - Community Guide [Updated]

Thanks.

I didn't contact Airbnb direct because I was talking to the host/property manager when I said that it was unsafe to stay.

I lodged my complaint on the site but perhaps I have missed the boat by not cancelling on line asap.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Melanie693 

Maybe read this information, explaining what to do if there are issues during the stay:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/544/what-is-airbnbs-guest-refund-policy-for-homes

Melanie693
Level 1
Euroa, Australia

Thanks.

It would appear that I have left it too late and should have started the process immediately, however we were in such a state finding somewhere else and then, because I had told the host, and made an on-line request for a refund that there would be a process other than the host simply saying no.

Following the Airbnb link to "contact us" only takes me to a page of frequently asked questions and no way to actually contact Airbnb direct.

I have enjoyed many successful stays with Airbnb over several years but with this one am certainly finding out the limitations of the service in that no-one is willing to be a contact for the company as a whole and help guests deal with issues.

Melanie

@Melanie693 You can follow step by step instruction in the following linked post to get hold with Airbnb support

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Help-tip-how-to-get-hold-with-Airbnb-support/m-p/1095386#M2...

@Melanie693  Did you not look at this link that Emiel posted, above? Contact Airbnb - Community Guide [Updated] This is on the first page of this Help forum. It has all the ways you can contact Airbnb, phone numbers, Twitter, etc, Just keep scrolling down in that post until you see the info you need.