Check in issue

Gaby173
Level 2
Guatemala City, Guatemala

Check in issue

Hi everyone! So a lady came to my AIRBNB one hour prior to check in. At that moment I was not available -I was expecting her at check in time-.  She wrote me a few messages and when I noticed I let her in -aprox 20 minutes after her arrival-. Now she is not answering any of my messages through the app. I am worried that she will give me a poor review because she had to wait. How should I handle this? She was one hour early -.-

25 Replies 25

This is where the public response comes in. When she leaves a review and says you made her, then on the public review explain why. Write there that the check-in time was at this time and the guest arrived early but the listing is not yet cleaned because a previous guest just checked out.

You may receive a bad review, but you will be given a chance to respond to clarify the matter.

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Gaby173 what @David5641 says.

Randomly turning up an hour before check-in she was lucky she only had to wait 20 minutes.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

In your situation I would message the guest on Airbnb and say that although she turned up an hour earlier than agreed for check you, you were glad that you were able to change your plans so that you could meet her within 20 minutes of her notifying you of her early arrival.

You can also mention this in your review in case she mentions it in hers.

You may want to consider having self check in facilities for your guests if you host remotely so they can do self check in.

Gaby173
Level 2

Thank you Helen and everyone. I am in the process of doing that. However, because I am in Guatemala I have to wait centuries to my smart lock and everything to arrive. I will be cautious about how I write the review to mention that. 

Thanks again, 

Gaby

Ale113
Level 10
Barcelona, Spain

I have learned something:

People that wants to come earlier than the check in hour know it from the very beggining and almost always say nothing. Really often they pretend to be ealy by coincidence or just because they forgot telling you that beforehand.

I am really tired of bad reviews of people angry for not being able to check in at 10am.

So, for those who don't tell me the arriving time, i don't give them the full address until the check-in hour.

@Gaby173   Air BNB gives the full address at the time of the reservation, right?  

Hi @Linda108 

There is an option that Airbnb just gives the full address you have written once the cancelling period is over: in my case, 5 days before coming. But I write the address partially in the Site, so I text them the full address at the check-in time. 

Gaby173
Level 2

Thank you for your comment! I dis not knew you could so that 

@Ale113 I believe that the address is released at the end of the FREE cancelation period which is 48 hours after booking.

It would be ridiculous to have no idea WHERE your reservation was located until checkin time. How would you research buses and trains in advance, download maps to the phone, determine where you might wish to have some supper or the closest grocery store?

Hi @Susan151 

Thanks for you reply. I have check it again and you are right!! O_O!

Anyhow, I have decided to take security tips by my own as I said, since there are some cancellations until the week before...

Also, I have had some people that asked for the address to send some deliveries before their arrival and asked me to be there to take those things...

Gaby173
Level 2

Hi!!! The problem I have is that AIRBNB gives the address once they do the reservation. -Even without  payment-I even had a lady that came to the apartment demanding to stay and they did not even completed the reservation but had the address through the app -.-

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Gaby173   If the guest messaged you several times what prevents you from responding immediately?  Perhaps your phone is not receiving these messages?  When I am expecting someone, I stay in close touch with them because I must be there for the check in as I have a dog and want to do the introduction.

Gaby173
Level 2

Normally I am, she sent me 3 messages in 3 seconds. Its not like I took long to respond. The problem is she came one hour prior check in and the place was not ready

Maria2704
Level 2
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

What if you work and have set you check in times to work around that. Are you ment leave work early to let someone in or risk a bad review? Or the room was booked the night before and they haven't yet left? Guests should read the listing properly and stick to it unless they clear it with you first.