Cancellation

Cancellation

Hello,

my guest made a booking for 4. However, after accepting the booking, I found out that they are 6 people, because they bring their kids. The price for 6 is higher than for 4. So I told her that she would have to pay more. She refuses to pay for her children though and also refuses to cancel, since she would have to pay the airbnb fees then. If I cancel, I have to pay 100 USD. I don't want to pay 100 USD though just because my guest lied to me and refuses to pay the correct price. I would like to cancel this booking without any fees. How is this possible? 

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello

If you have it in your rules that additional guests are charged for, the option for your guest is that you send her an ammended price for the extra guests and she pays it or that the booking gets cancelled.

Contact BnB and ask their advice. Explain that the guest booked for 4 although she has confirmed that 6 will arrive and refuses to pay for the extra two guests. They should arrange for the booking to be cancelled without charge to you.

I am sure you wouldn't want a guest staying who behaves like this.

Please communicate to the guest that the following will happen:  Since she has requested and paid for only 4 guests, if 6 guests arrive at the location for check-in they will be denied access and they will forfeit their entire rental due to a violation of the house rules regarding accomodation.  This means the guest will be out for the entire amount of the reservation, not just the extra $22/night for the 2 children.  Then send her a modified reservation request for the additional guests to encourage her to book the room correctly.  

Of course, there is a very diplomatic way of saying this which I have not done above, but you can indicate in your own words that the rights of the host outweigh the rights of the guest here, and she should cancel and look elsewhere if she thinks children should be free.  

You could get involved with Airbnb long before this situation gets to the point of them checking in and tell them that the guest is trying to bring extra guests for no charge when your listing clearly points that out.  

Good luck.