Blew a fuse? What can I compensate my guests?

Morgan166
Level 2
Oakland, CA

Blew a fuse? What can I compensate my guests?

My Airbnb has only 1/3 of the electricity working for almost 24 hours. My guests say it inconvenienced them not being able to watch tv in bed or go the bathroom without a working light. They paid 100 a night. How much should I compensate them? 

6 Replies 6

The easiest option is to refund them 100. If they ask for more, then it would be totally up to you. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

As the electricity was working in the majority of the house @Morgan166  I would perhaps offer them a token amount such as £30 or chocolates and wine.

Not being able to watch TV in bed is not the end of the world surely they could have watched films or TV on their laptop if they needed to get their TV fix in bed.

Morgan166
Level 2
Oakland, CA

Yeah it’s not the end of the world but you know how guests get. They want to be compensated and listed ways in which they were inconvenienced. I’m just wondering how much the inconvenience is worth even though I completely agree with you. 

Morgan166
Level 2
Oakland, CA

100 dollars seems a bit much since that’s a whole free night. They still had working lights, plugs, a second full functioning TV, fridge, oven and stove all work as well as washer and dryer. Just one TV and a bathroom light. Hmmmm

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

One TV and one light in the bathroom is an inconvenience that requires a refund? If this guest was easy going and understanding, they would not ask for compensation at all. As a guest, I wouldn't. I don't really think that any amount you choose will really please them. 

P.s. Was the fuse able to be replaced during their stay?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Morgan166  How long did the guests wait to let you know the electric seemed wonky? As it only takes a few minutes to replace a fuse, unless you live far away and couldn't get there to deal with it as soon as you were informed, I don't see why it would take 24 hours to remedy. So if they didn't let you know first thing in the morning, they bear some responsibility for the long outage.

I agree with Emilia that being without a bathroom light (which they wouldn't need during daylight hours if there's a window there) and only having one TV to watch (oh, the horror) can hardly be considered some major issue and better guests would have just let it go. 

I'd offer 25% for the first night- if that's not good enough for them, too bad.