Argumentative guest

John-and-Monika0
Level 1
Alexandria, VA

Argumentative guest

Hello - My husband and I are hosting a couple in our lower level/basement apartment.  We are safe and have no worries about that. However, they have been arguing loudly and heatedly for almost an hour. I know we can call non-emergency police but....any suggestions? This is their second night, checking out Sunday.

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@John-and-Monika0  Send them an Airbnb message- "Just want to make you aware that the present sound level from downstairs is quite audible up here. Would appreciate you toning it down, thanks."

If that doesn't work, come back here for more advice. If you feel this is getting to a point where there could be domestic violence, or you hear banging around, like it's getting physical, I'd call the police. But some people just have toxic relationships where they argue all the time. Too bad they think it's acceptable to do in someone else's home.

@John-and-Monika0:
I feel that when guests book they expect a resonable level of privacy. As long as the guests are not hurting one another they should be left alone. However, if the arguement goes into the night you can ask them to be quieter so as not to disturb the home.  (My opinion)

@Tim-and-Holly0  I respectfully disagree. It's one thing to be having a good time and maybe get a little loud, but there is nothing "private" about arguing loudly for an hour with no sign of let-up that can be heard outside the unit. It is the guests in this case who are not being private, not the hosts invading their privacy. 

Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

@John-and-Monika0 , I agree with @Sarah977 ,  in a situation like this I think it is only fair to let them know that their argument is disturbing your peace. Even as @Tim-and-Holly0expressed they may expect a reasonable level of privacy, it doesn’t give them, or anyone, the right to interject their issues into your space.  I would be extremely embarrassed to know that my disagreement was disturbing someone else and that they could hear what was going on.  Of course, not everybody is going to feel that way. But a text message does give them a graceful way to just stop without an embarrassing face-to-face confrontation . 

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I would keep this light. They may be the kind of couple who do not care, or be hugely embarrassed. I’d message via  WhatsApp if you’ve been communicating that way:

‘hearing a bit of noise coming from downstairs, is everything ok down there?’

No mention of an argument, no embarrassment, no need at this stage to mention it is crazily loud what you are hearing. Of course if things escalate or continue after they have had read your message. (WhatsApp will show when a message is read) I’d  call the police.