Akward & Uncomfortable Situation - 3 months in advance..and I didn't even start hosting yet

Kay73
Level 1
Saint Paul's Bay, Malta

Akward & Uncomfortable Situation - 3 months in advance..and I didn't even start hosting yet

Dear All,

I've been using Airbnb for the past years but only as a guest, and recently, I've decided to go for it, and to start experiencing hosting as well. In fact I will be hosting my vert first guests in a week's time, and I must say that I'm so very excited about it all 🙂

Now I just had my second booking where I had my guests immediately confirming their booking; after of course agreeing with my house rules, etc. The thing is, that these guests (for my second reservation as a host), yesterday sent me a private message here on airbnb, and are now asking me if they can check in very late during the night; precisely at 1am between Sunday & Monday. Please note that in my house rules, I clearly explained that the latest check-in should be by not later than 9pm. I mean I do have another job and I explained to my guests this thing, and considering their check-in will be during the week, I definitely cannot allow such a late check-in, during the night, and considering especially that a couple of hours later I have to wake up for work (5.30am). Not to mention also, that I have to travel with my car to go to the Airbnb place. Thus I replied that I cannot allow such a late check-in and I also communicated to my guests, that they should have informed me beforehand of their very late check-in, before they confirmed the booking and before committing tehmselves, and not now.

At the same time I'm not feeling comfortable with these guests; becasue in some way or another, I feel that these guests are trying to break my house rules, almost 3 months before they are going to check-in. Moreover, knowing a family with kids, will be arriving at midnight and will be somehow 'stranded', is making me feel more uncomfortable with the situation.

At the same time, I've read that if I had to cancel this reservation myself (was only thinking about it as the last resort), I'll have to face Airbnb penalties; including a bad permanent mark on my listing in case I cancel. I honestly think this would be very unfair on me, considering how things are happening.

In view of all this and considering I didn't even started experiencing hosting yet, I will appreciate if somebody from Airbnb's community, can kindly help me by telling me, what is the best thing that I can do in this situation.

Any kind of input and feedback, will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Kay

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If your guest can't meet your house rules for check in, then give Airbnb a call and ask them to cancel the booking. (2nd post Community Help forum for contact details).

If you have Instant Book turned on, I would suggest you turn it off, so you can vet each guest before confirming a booking.

Unfortunately guests don't alway read listings properly before making a booking.

Hilary-And-Ed0
Level 10
Brookline, MA

I would not recommend you cancelling.  I would suggest sending a friendly message re-stating your check in hours, and that you will not be able to drive to the unit in the middle of the night.  Then let them know that if that will not work for them, you would certainly understand if they wanted to cancel.  If that doesn't work, contact Airbnb and let them know the situation and request that they cancel.  If they cancel for you, you will not be punished.